Cost of slates (22)?

Tonypearce

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had some rough prices for slates? I have seen them at the local Leroy Merlin (St Brieuc, 22) last year but can't remember the price, we are doing a 6*2.8 M area roof next week and wondered if cheaper to bring from the UK, the size I'm looking for are 200mm * 400mm.but could be bigger.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks [8-)]

Tony

www.kerberlu.com

Don't know if anyone else saw the TV prog about the man and woman who self-renovated of an old burned-out mini chateau a few months ago? Used macons and roofers for the demanding bits, of course.

They imported their slates direct from China. Needed a pretty large amount of course, as there was no roof at all!

[quote user="Tonypearce"]

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had some rough prices for slates? I have seen them at the local Leroy Merlin (St Brieuc, 22) last year but can't remember the price, we are doing a 6*2.8 M area roof next week and wondered if cheaper to bring from the UK, the size I'm looking for are 200mm * 400mm.but could be bigger.

Any ideas would be great!

[/quote]

I'm not sure that 20x40 is a standard size in France. Around here (Dinan) slates are either 22x32 or 40x40 (fibre-cement shit). A 22x32 slate costs me about 60c HT. These slates cover at about 42/SqM.

Your local builders merchant is probably your best (best value!) source. Where are you?

Hello,

C.Q.M sell some excellent materials but are unbelievably expensive for many things. They seem to give individuals different prices on a whim...

However, I bought my slate there, 1st quality 42p each 20cm x 30cm...

However, do try and negociate a discount by opening an account there. You will need a R.I.B and need to talk to Francois Quimo

Ty

Last week, I took a client there to buy plasterboard using my van and trailer.

The price of the board was 3times the price in Brico marche or Leroy Merlin.

That is a FCUKING ARNAQUE!!!

But I never told you before the biggest arnaqueur is in fact Francois Quimo who promises to give you 25/30% off if you take out an account for your project but never actually does...

If I hadn't already installed the slates and other materials by the time I recieved my facture then I would have sent them back...

There.... the truth is out.

Slates, blocks, cement and some larger stuff is actually a good price at C.Q.M

I thought the U.K was a police state until I started shopping and driving here in France!

I have been searched several times by security staff and stopped 6 times by the Police and I haven't been a new age traveller for years!

To redress the balance, we have almost entirely renovated a large house, have purchased materials  from Leroy Merlan, Point P, Weldom, Brico Deport, Bricomarche, Colomac etc, using a trailer for collecting.  We have never, touch wood and all that, been searched at any of them or been stopped by the police.

Maybe you are suffering because of the action of some "baddies" in your particular area.  I know of a builders merchant in the UK where a local builder was systematically going into the yard and loading up items and then only declaring a tiny proportion at the pay desk, so you cannot always blame the suppliers.