How to survive life when the visitors arrive

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russet House, when you come you will have to stay in the gite nearby since we don't have any space in the house[:)].

But since you are coming anyway, can you bring the items on your list, but can you make it M & S Gold tea (or Yorkshire tea but definitely not Twinings), and some Cussons Ivory Soap, and some mango powder, asafoetida, interdens toothpicks, and Boots wax earplugs please?

Gay

I don't think you need to feel guilty.

We have had my Bro in law and wife to stay in France, long week-end, great and they perhaps buy a bottle take us out for the occasional meal but we stay with them in Somerset and do the same there. I have stayed with friends in Sweden and they have also stayed with me in U.K. so that all evens out.

The problem arises when one has a constant stream of "guests" cashing in on a free / cheap/ holiday / stay in France and the traffic is all one way.

The best one was I asked one guest to help with a bit of flattening by wearing my wellies and just walking around on the ground where I was about to grass, (yes that's all) and she remarked "but I am on holiday".  So the reply was "but are you paying, no, well get the wellies on then" [:D]

Georgina

Very useful thread for when we are in this situation.

Think I will enroll in some classes on stage make-up. That way we can suddenly develop nasty rashes when we want guests to go.

Paul

Gay, I am so glad that somebody admitts to ever having been a visitor on this thread. The goodie bag you bring sounds as if you will be welcome anywhere, anytime.

The most amusing chapters in Peter Mayle's first book concerned visits from advertising agency acquaintances.

I admit that being a good guest ain't that easy. I don't think I am one, fortunately I am usually accompanied by a wonderful person who is a brilliant guest. Unfortunately this tends to show me up.

However, I try  to bring decent duty-free booze like Lagavulin and am keen to host meals at a good restaurant. However three factors militate against me being a useful guest. 1) I am usually knocked out by the sun and warmer climate, 2) That part of me laughingly known as my brain has disappeared into holiday mode, 3) I might be better acquainted with the demon alcohol in the evening than I usually am, 4) This acquaintance might also come earlier in the day, 5) I am simply never a very good guest and after admiring all the good works of the hosts, I like to be as invisible as possible, ideally admiring the scenery or lurking in a shady cafe with a trashy novel, 6) I do not like digging trenches for fosse septiques at the best of times and 7 I am not very good at counting... 

So if all the long-suffering hosts on this forum want somebody to toil in the sun digging trenches for your fosse (which seems to pass for hospitality on this thread) do not invite me. I suspect that you were not going to anyway.

Renaud, don't get the wrong end of the stick [:D]

There has to be some middle ground where the host does not feel taken advantage of and where the guests make offers of help for everyday tasks undertaken on their behalf...

It's the simplest form of courtesy.

Bin the "friends", just have family. Our son and daughters + assorted children visit as often as possible. They are not expected to 'pay their way', they are family.

Our  "rules" are :- one day work, next day all holiday. Trying to get them to NOT work on the house / garden is the difficult part, particularly No 1 son, he believes that a couple of weeks of constant demolition / building is the best holiday he can have, not sure his family agree.

Our daughters wield mean paintbrushes and also (one of them) is a whizz in the kitchen.

More visits please.

[quote user="5-element"].....and Boots wax earplugs please?[/quote]

In France they are found at the chemist's and called 'Boules Quiès'

Little round pea-size balls of wax with a slight fluffy pink covering. My Father travels nowhere without these... it stops him listening to my Mother's snores!! [8-)]   so he says...... [:D]

[quote user="Missy"]

[quote user="5-element"].....and Boots wax earplugs please?[/quote]

In France they are found at the chemist's and called 'Boules Quiès'

Little round pea-size balls of wax with a slight fluffy pink covering. My Father travels nowhere without these... it stops him listening to my Mother's snores!! [8-)]   so he says...... [:D]

[/quote]

Wax earplugs.............yuk I've bought some by mistake once and found them horrible to use, these are much better

This is down to preference, I have used those Bugbear, but prefer EAR earplugs. I mould them in my fingers before I use them, but I manage far better with the EAR ones. I don't like the boules quies at all. Over the years I have tried most makes and forms.

Yes, I use them so I can't hear the snoring. It is getting off to sleep that is my problem, if I can hear snoring. Once I'm off I am out for the count.

Yes I know about boules Quies, but they are too small, maybe designed for delicate French ears? I use TWO of those for each ear, and it's a pain removing the cotton wool around each -  in fact, I have tried every species of earplugs known to humankind. I keep about 5 different types here. Not a fetish[:D], just always searching for the ultimate, the perfect earplugs.... Wax can hurt the ears, but they are more effective. Foam ones (different colours, shapes and sizes) vary, the trick is to manage to push them in a long way and then let them expand... it's neighbouring barking dogs that are the most difficult noise to keep out.

And OK, I admit to being addicted to earplugs, but I am a teetotaller otherwise[:D]

[quote user="5-element"]

And OK, I admit to being addicted to earplugs, but I am a teetotaller otherwise[:D]

[/quote]

I too have quite a collection.

By far the most comfortable are 'E-A-R soft' and they also give the best protection with an SNR 39 Rating.

So French earplugs are to small for us, just as I find French paper tissues too small.

Our French neighbour was very impressed by our man-sized Kleenex.  She asked me if English condoms were also extra large.  I told her that of course they were. [:D]