Thermostatic Shower Tap ??

expat paul

Hi,

I am in the process of renewing my walk in shower and I would like to fit a thermostatic shower tap. This morning I did a internet search and a shopping trip visiting 3 DIY sheds and 2 plumbers merchants and found prices ranging from 79 to 350 Euros.
Does anyone know anything about these ? ie good brands or things to look for, or, to avoid.

thanks

Paul Confused

Paul,

if your plumbing is set up à les francais you don't need a thermostatic valve.  Both hot and cold a fed at mains pressure and the effect of someone flushing the loo or running a kettle while you are in the shower are minimal.

Surely, a good thermostatic mixer unit will prevent this? Of perhaps this is what you mean.

As a guide Screwfix thermostatic mixers range from circa £79 to 350, the upper prices being quite esoteric items; they do list more expensive options, but these seem pointlessly complex.

Mine was pre-installed in the cabinet (Leroy Merlin), never had any problems when other taps are turned on in the house, hydro jets all round cost from memory circa € 400, on offer, complete.

[quote user="expat paul"]

Hi,

I am in the process of renewing my walk in shower and I would like to fit a thermostatic shower tap. This morning I did a internet search and a shopping trip visiting 3 DIY sheds and 2 plumbers merchants and found prices ranging from 79 to 350 Euros.

Does anyone know anything about these ? ie good brands or things to look for, or, to avoid.

thanks

Paul

[/quote]

I bought one from Mr Bricolage a few years ago and it worked OK a few times and then would never regulate properly. I had no idea why it went wrong as there is not much inside. The HOT and COLD feeds were identical pressure as they were both fed from the mains.

One thing I would advise. Ensure that when you fit it that you connect the feed pipes around the correct way. The HOT and COLD supply connections are usually at the opposite end to the HOT and COLD taps!!.

Check what the guarantee is with each one. When I was looking for one earlier in the year I found the same price variation as you but discovered that whilst the more expensive ones were generally guaranteed for 5 years, the cheapest were only guaranteed for 1 year.  In the end I went for a mid priced one that is guaranteed for two years. If you visit somewhere like Castorama they will have a good display with many to choose from - all usually in stock.

Brico Depot (Part of Kingfisher better known as B&Q in the UK) Perpignan 19 Euros with black plastic knobs. The metel ended ones start at around 24 Euros. Personally I prefered the Leroy Merlin version which was around 40 Euros and they have been installed for about 4 years and have been abused by several hundred guests and still work fine. Although Brico Depot is cheaper I do find Leroy Merlin a much nicer place to shop with much less chance of having a trolley rammed up your heal if you know what I mean and people (assistants) you can talk to.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Since the hot water supply in France is (usually) fed either from the Balloon or a chaffauge which is similar to a British Combi boiler. Not normal (excepting on old and unusual installations) to have a gravity fed open to air system.

[/quote]

Yes, its fed from the chaffauge, but I thought someone had found a hot water mains! [:D]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Since the hot water supply in France is (usually) fed either from the Balloon or a chaffauge which is similar to a British Combi boiler. Not normal (excepting on old and unusual installations) to have a gravity fed open to air system.

[/quote]

Yes, its fed from the chaffauge, but I thought someone had found a hot water mains! [:D]

Agree about Brico Dept .v. Leroy Merlin, Quillan.

Brico Depot are great for everyday stuff at low prices. Most times, the staff are hopeless and don't even want to assist: even if they could, which is doubtful!

Leroy's assistants certainly seem more knowledgable to me and Leroy's seem to have far better quality items as well as budget end.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Agree about Brico Dept .v. Leroy Merlin, Quillan.

Brico Depot are great for everyday stuff at low prices. Most times, the staff are hopeless and don't even want to assist: even if they could, which is doubtful!

Leroy's assistants certainly seem more knowledgable to me and Leroy's seem to have far better quality items as well as budget end.

[/quote]

Two years ago we bought one of those massage showers from Brico Depot. It’s one of those cabinet jobs. It is pretty big but comes in a kit, the first thing was to dry mount the main panel to the base and drill out all the holes. The next stage was to then use a special two part glue to stick the panel and base together then put the bolts in. I have to say the glue was really good and makes an unbreakable joint. The third stage was to fit the two fixed glass side panels and the top. The side panels were 8mm to tall and it just wouldn’t fit.

I phoned up Brico Depot and told them the problem to which they replied that I should put it all back in the original packaging (yeh right!), take it back to them and they would give me another. I told them that I would have to break the back panel away from the base which would cause a lot of damage and that it would be impossible to get it out the bathroom if this was not done. They told me that if I did that they could not change the unit because of the damage, “perhaps I could put a rope round it and let it out the window” was one response.

I asked if they could just take a couple of glass panels out of another box and we could just swap them, no it’s all or nothing was the reply. Well I ended up getting two new panels cut at 60 Euros each and told Brico Depot to ‘stuff it’. Mind you the shower was 299 plus 180 for the new glass panels which is still cheap for hydro massage shower. Most of my guests seem to think it would have cost at least a couple of grand based on UK prices. So yep your right the old Brico Depot staff (probably failed the Dixons Photographic shop entrance exam) are not exactly the most helpful or brightest light in the box.

The shower still works perfectly by the way and can be bought for a staggering 599 these days from the same people.

Yes, the old "Return it in its original packaging" scam is a wonderful wheeze.

I remember reading about an American lady who bought online, in the early days of the E-Commerce boom. Whatever it was she purchased was faulty. and after Christmas she wanted to return the goods, whereupon the supplier started the old "Original Packaging" lark.

Unfortunately, with the rush, they had shipped in all sorts of outers and hers was sort of ideal for a huge fridge freezer! Which she couldn't actually fit in her car................

Ummmmmmm.