Do you like where you live?

Peter, I really appreciate that!  We live in Dublin and so would need connections to Ireland unfortunately.  OH plays a bit of music and wouldn't be sure of being able to keep it up in France so would like the possibility of getting home quite quickly and cheaply(point taken regarding flights btw) so maybe somewhere between 2/3 ryanair airports would be an idea. Mind you, weather is also a huge consideration.  Thanks all.  How do you get icons into your posts?!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To put an emoticon into a post go to the drop down menu box (above your reply box) that says 'insert smiley' and click on the one you have chosen to use.

If you aren't sure which one is which, scroll down to the bottom of your 'reply' box and roll your mouse over to see the name of the icon you want, before selecting from the drop down menu.

It's a bit tortuous at first, but you get used to it.[:)]

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

Choosing where you would like to live is personal and the only way it can be done is by visiting the area and seeing / trying it for yourself.

[/quote]

I agree. I looked at the results of the survey Simon had run  and most Brits wanted to live in the country, but then there is countryside and countryside.

I lived in the country in the UK but now I couldn't bear to be away from the sea. You need to decide what you want and then go looking for it, I am sure it's there [:D] 

[quote user="Just Katie "]

Hi Me&Mi,

Maybe Twinkle could share her husbands experiences with you.

[/quote]

Or maybe you would like to share you and your husbands experiences with Me&Mi JK!

I'm not easily embarrassed but I draw the line there I'm afraid[:$]

Oh right!

Phew.......I was worried for a minute[;-)]

Well what can I say? 

My husband (whose French)  plays Irish music for a living in a band (intermittent du spectacle) and there are about 4 other Irish music groups in the region where we live.  They aren't looking to hire a musicien anytime soon but there could be other bands in Me&Mis area that would be interested in taking on an 'authentic' living breathing Irish musicien. 

There is a big market for Irish music in the region where we live - but I can't speak for all of France.

I wish I had carried on with me Shillelagh lessons at school back in Kildare! Maybe I could have been living in France now earning me keep by playing it in  a band. I hated the Shillelagh lessons though, but they were compulsory in them days. I always let on to be sick on fridays because it was double shillelagh lessons every friday! I once painted me feet green with a bit of emulsion left over from painting me dancing shoe for the annual Kildare St Patricks day dancing contest. Well, me poor mammy was so worried that she called out Dr Muldoon to have a look "it looks like your son has distemper of the feet there Mrs O'Toole" said the Doctor "you might be better calling out the vet to him"  I could not bring that shame on to the family name, so I confessed all to me mammy, and she said "now you have used up the last of the green emulsion we needed to paint your other dancing shoe when your cousin Declan grows out of it "  I asked me mammy  "could I just use one of me legs for the dance and use Mary O'Sullivan that has the 6 toes on her right foot as me partner,  that could make up for not using me other leg" Mary's mammy agreed to her partnering me as long as we shared the 1st prize of the candlewick bedspread if we won it.

Thanks Tresco[:D]

Twinkle and JK, OH doesn't play trad music.  He's in a band playing original rock/country/pop(I don't know how to describe it as you can tell!).  Have to go, kids are pulling at my heels.  ChezShells, thanks for your reply.  Would love to know WHEREABOUTS you live. This thread really is a great help, thank you all.[kiss]. Getting the hang of the emoticon thing.  Furry knickers- suffering from baby brain at the moment but are you taking the p*** by any chance?  A shillelagh is a type of weapon.  Maybe you meant harp?[8-|]

I rememeber a conversation I had with a friend of ours in an irish folk band from Ireland. He said that there were lots of country bands and lots and lots in the west of Ireland that he refered to as Conamara Cowboys. So that your O/H plays country comes as no surprise to me.

Furry Knickers, scrumptious is the way I would describe his delightlful writings. Gently mocking, lovely word mis-use, for me they are a pleasure to read.

All these posts about the wonderful places in France, you still have to live, after your cotisations, would that be on a very limited budget?

Echoing Chezshells really. 

1. Peace and quiet (we have had serious problems with criminal damage to our home in the UK / burglaries / intimidation and violence  / race riots / local yobs etc so France is heaven for us)

2. A big (and imho) beautiful house
  3. Pretty village only 5 minutes walk from a beautiful river

4. Traditional markets

5. Lovely old towns
  6. Good reasonably priced food (eating out)

7. Easy access to a large town / city (without having to live in it!) and without needing a mortgage the size of the National Debt

8. Neighbours whose names we know and whose doorsteps we regularly cross and who are incredibly kind and helpful
  9. We don't have the acres of land - but we never wanted that - quite happy to look over someone elses acres (which are beautiful woodlands, farms and vineyards.)

Against:

1. Feeling of having not much in common with neighbours (different socio group - basic school education v university / professional education, not travelled much beyond their department etc) so not many common points of reference
  2. Nightmare getting work done on the house
  3. Sometimes have the feeling that we are expected to 'become more French' (I'm English and always will be!)

4. Although I love the restaurants etc - if we were there all the time I would miss the local pub / girlie nights out - not really an equivalent in France - bars seem very much for the men.
  5. Although cheap to eat out - we haven't found it to be universally cheaper than the UK  - in fact in many  ways we find it more expensive.
  6. Weather is a tad too hot for me in summer and a tad too cold in the winter - shoulder seasons are much better than UK though

I'm sure there are other points but that pretty much sums it up.

We are in NE Dordogne (quiet, still very French and at least an hour and half from Eymet and the major 'Brit' areas!)

Kathie

[quote user="catalpa"]I think Furrynix is the only forum member where, if I see he has posted, I make a habit of going to see what he's composed. [/quote]

I love reading his stuff too - recently I've started to hear Terry Wogans wicked, lilting voice whenever I do. 

There are rock, pop and country bands here in France too Me&Mi!  I'm sure your husband will find a band to play with - or he could start his own of course!  I sing in two bands - in one the songlist is 70 per cent anglo saxon and the other 100 per cent.  So he wouldn't necessarily have to play French stuff.

He'd be asked to do a bit of Irish music though to be sure to be sure[:)]  I can hear Terry again!!!

Dear Me&Mi

We had harp lessons every tueday and thursday! It was them Wicklow lads that used the Shillelagh as a weapon, us Peace loving Kildareians used it to make music. It would be so grand if all the weapons of the world were to become musical instruments and instead of harming they were used to make music like the Baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini.

Dear Mrs Up and Twinkle, I am very flattered by your lovely words!

Dear Catalpa, Are you flerten with me? I know it is an immortal sin, but could we not just live together?

Several nights ago, I had the most wonderful dream! It was a beautiful sunny summer day, and I was out chasing a singing bird for what seemed like hours! The bird came to rest in a beautiful tree that was dressed in the most stunning garment of golden leaves, golden leaves that were so like hearts. The bird flew away into the blue sky, still singing it's song. I lay under the tree, mesmerised by it's beauty and gazing up at the slender delicate arms with the rays of the sun  glinting in my eyes. A breeze passed by and gently shook a leaf from it's loving hand. The leaf started to fall towards me, the leaf touched my lips as if it had kissed them, and then it fell slowly passed my cheek and onto the ground. As I reached out to it, the breeze returned and took it away from me, I ran towards it, but It was swept away into the sky that was beyond my reach. I walked back home with the song of the bird still in my ears. That night, as I went to lay my head on my pillow, I heard the bird singing at my window. I went to the window as the bird opened it's wings and flew away into the darkness. Upon returning to my bed, there was the leaf from the tree, laying on my pillow. I picked it up and I held it to my lips, I went to sleep in my dream.

[kiss]

Bringing her round, Cap'n.

We've always liked where we lived.  Whenever we stopped liking it (for whatever reason) we moved.  But we've only lived in four houses since leaving our childhood homes so I guess we've liked wherever we've been, for most of the time.

Heading 180°.