soil pipe

Bannon

• 6 months later...
[quote user="crazyfrog"]

I'm doing the same thing, although I've got a 25m run.  Does anyone have any info on how the underground 100mm pipe is joined? Fosse bloke says it is "interdit" to glue them so I am worried as they might leak.

[/quote]

Hi

The underground pipe has a collar fitting, into which the preceding piece fits, rather than connecting two pieces together with a straight connect.

It will not leak unless the run backs up and is full of water, and even then it would be negligable.

Dont worry!

Thanks for that.  Yes, I've got all the pipes (and coudes... and the rest) as i'm also making provision for future bathrooms (in my dreams anyway).  The reason I asked about gluing is that I heard you might have to heat seal them.  I would have thought that this would give the same problems as gluing though.  I'll leave everything "dry" i.e. pushed together and get the SPANC man to advise if there are any issues with it all after Fosse bloke has finished.

I have fitted grey plastic 100mm pipe in my house over a ten meter distance, between my loo and the main sewer connection, and I have glued them. Why does a fosse have a different set of rules?

My brother in UK did advise me that he thought that soil pipes for Europe, that are to be fitted underground, are a brown colour and have rubber seals. However nowhere in France, that I have seen, do they sell brown plastic piping and or with rubber seals.

[quote user="Alane"]

I've only seen the glue fitting type pipes in our builders merchant - are the collars something that must be purchased separately?

[/quote]

Hi

Its just a length of pipe and at one end it is a little wider so you can connect the other piece into it. All the Brico places sell it, and of course the pro merchants.

Wow !  This is the first I've heard of not gluing 100 pipework. I've just bought 10 x 4m length of it to start on the bathrooms so it will be used both int. and ext.

How/why exactly would a friction fit (of the collared pipes) be regarded as a better bet than a glued one ?

p

Can I just point out one thing lest you come unstuck (pun intended)

Always ask for 'Tube' as in 'tube d'evacuation' as 'Pipe' means something else entirely.

I ask the girl at my local Brico if she could give me some big pipes, and could I have a discount too!!  - she nearly fainted while the guy at the counter fell about laughing.

It wasn't untill I recounted this to someone I knew who lived in Paris for many years that I discovered my error, talk about an innocent abroad.

[quote user="tj"][quote user="Alane"]

TJ

Aren't these the same pipes that would have the joints glued if used inside the house?

[/quote]

Hi

No they are not the same ones, but are usually next to the others in most Brico's, 

[/quote]

TJ

Can you explain exactly what is to be purchased if it isn't to be glued. All the 100mm tubes I've seen are grey glueable ones, whether they have a collar or not. Can you please give a link or name a brico or show a picture.

Thanks.

Inside the house you can glue, underground you can't (in Dept 65 anyway), you can glue up to the point it goes underground.  Liquid gunk might not leak, but the smelly gas stuff might.  Suck it and see I suppose.  I hate gluing the stuff as it means you have to throw it all away when you need to change things around.   Another of the "lets keep people in business" ideas that seem to be common over here.  I hopefully brought a load of my rubber sealed push on stuff from the UK that I had lying around... none of it is compatable.. ho hum. Fossy Blokey is turning up next week so I will see what he does and keep you posted. 

Flucrum... they do have some "joining" pieces with rubber seals to allow to fix broken pipes, but they are only about 20cms long and rather expensive.

[quote user="crazyfrog"]any solid pipes underground from the house to the fosse are not glued.  The stuff in the drainage field is never glued.[/quote]

Hi

Just to try and clarify in simple terms, the grey PVC pipe you use inside the house is bracketed to the wall, floor etc, the glued joints are not under usual circumstance, prone to any movement.

Underground is a different story, so you need to use connectors with the rubber gasket on the inside, or lengths of pipe with the gasket at one end and slot each length into the other.The idea being that the rubber gasket allows for some limited movement should the ground be subject to any movement, tremors etc. The key is of course in the proper installation within the trench in the first instance, and there is lots of information on the net, take a look at the http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html "Part H" this is of course UK regs so you wont go far wrong.

[quote user="tj"]

[quote user="crazyfrog"]any solid pipes underground from the house to the fosse are not glued.  The stuff in the drainage field is never glued.[/quote]

Hi

Just to try and clarify in simple terms, the grey PVC pipe you use inside the house is bracketed to the wall, floor etc, the glued joints are not under usual circumstance, prone to any movement.

Underground is a different story, so you need to use connectors with the rubber gasket on the inside, or lengths of pipe with the gasket at one end and slot each length into the other.The idea being that the rubber gasket allows for some limited movement should the ground be subject to any movement, tremors etc. The key is of course in the proper installation within the trench in the first instance, and there is lots of information on the net, take a look at the http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html "Part H" this is of course UK regs so you wont go far wrong.

[/quote]

Fine except that pipes with rubber gaskets aren't generally available in most bricos: certainly not in the 3 I have easy access to here in northern Creuse (23).

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

Fine except that pipes with rubber gaskets aren't generally available in most bricos: certainly not in the 3 I have easy access to here in northern Creuse (23).

p

[/quote]

But can you glue manchons (the connectors with rubber seals) to the PVC pipes to conform to the rules?

Although it would still have a glue connection. The flexible rubber manchon would take the strain.