new electrical connection

milims

We paid 900 euros last Dec.  This was to run a cable approx 20metres underground (we were informed that this is now obligatory for new supplies) from the box at the roadside to the box inside the house.  We had to have everything ready including the trench and the red plastic cable cover.  All the internal wiring, fuse box etc had to be just right before they would connect. We had previously paid for the supply to be brought underground to the edge of the land by a different branch of  EDF. 

I have just had a quote of around €1300 to supply the electricity cable and compteur to the edge of my building plot, 20 mètres of cabling but because the house is more than 30mètres from the compteur EDF will not connect to the house, this has to be done by an electrician circa €2000 plus the cost of the trench and gaine.

If EDF needed to extend the network cable it would be much more than this and could take around 6 months.

Water and mains sewage connection add another €4-5000. If you don't know about these cost in advance it could come as a bit of a shock.[:)]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that! Makes the possibility of the project i'm thinking of more feasable than I thought. Was quoted around the 30k mark for all services in the uk and thought that was possibly the same for france. So could get all services, water electric and sewerage for about 10k WOW!

Have the advantage that i'm a joiner in the uk and my partner is trade as well, she's a sparky so between the 2 of us could easily get a decent property sorted and then either settle in france or let it off.

Set some worries to rest i must say!

Chris and Helen (Still in Northumberland but france is getting closer and closer!)