Paint roof tiles?

WJT

We have had a new roof put on an old bread oven that we are converting as an extension to our house. I am very unhappy with the colour of the tiles. They were meant to be rustique brun (terre cuite) but look like a light orange in comparison to the rest of the tiles. Is it possible to tone them down a bit with some sort of dark brown paint? They are already speckled with a brown colour but not enough.

I didn't want to do this and then later find out that it caused a problem like not allowing them to breath or causing them to freeze. Thank you in advance for any advise.

Thank you Gary, that is very good advice [:)]. I knew this about new Terra cotta pots but haven't thought about it in this case for new Terra cotta roof tiles. However, I don't think it will make them go darker. So if I do paint them I think I would also do as you suggested (although not easy because some are quite high).  I have thought about buying a cheap sprayer and just spraying the area with dark brown paint.

I would not paint them.

One it would void any guarantee you have with the guy that fitted them and the tile manufacture  would just laugh should you say the tiles have failed .

But if you wish to change  the colour you could use a cement dye ,as long as the tiles do not have a glaze to them it will take .

That’s if you can get cement dye hear in France.

If so it would work buy paint brush or spraying.

But do try a tile or a bit of tile first

But remember what ever you do that the sun will start to lighten them from the day you do it.

But Gary so rightly said

It's the wrong time of year really but a light coating of yogurt when it's dry and warmer than now with encourage moss and algae growth and they will look like they’ve been there for years”

Its best to do this after the last frost has gone  

Thank you mark24, very good points. I would have never thought of cement dye so will definitely look for some here. I do hope they would have very dark dye. I wouldn't cover completely, just slightly spray to tone the colour down. I would take your advice and try it first.

As said before I will also use yogurt as Gary suggested sometime in Spring. It is such a shame because it is a good job, I am just very unhappy with the colour. Thank you again.

Hi WJT, if possible why not just leave them. Whatever you do to them now is just going to make them look so much different later on. If you leave them now they will probably just tone down in time...

You can't expect new kit to look like the old. If I tried to look like I was when I was 21, last year, then I would look totally out of place [8-)]! (Bloody ridiculous actually!)

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Hi WJT, if possible why not just leave them. Whatever you do to them now is just going to make them look so much different later on. If you leave them now they will probably just tone down in time...

You can't expect new kit to look like the old. If I tried to look like I was when I was 21, last year, then I would look totally out of place [8-)]! (Bloody ridiculous actually!)

[/quote]

Good point Jonzjob [:D]. However, it really isn't just about making them look old, it is that the colour is wrong.  I have seen new roofs with the tiles I thought these were, they are quite dark to start with. They are a light orange and I wanted a darkish brown, they are called brun rustique but aren't. So I don't know if they will tone down enough in my lifetime if at all.[:)]

WJT did you specify to the builder that they were supposed to be the same colour as the other tiles? If so then have him replace them with the correct tiles. Not as easy to do as to say it, but it has got to be worth giving him a kicking over it. If he has supplied the wrong tiles then it 'should' be his responsibility surely. Or am I being totally nieve?

Forgive me, I assume you've already paid.

If you were my customer, I'd tell you the tiles are the wrong colour.

You've seen tiles you want and it's only those you'll be happy with.

Two choices here.

1. Leave them, forget about them, they're just roof tiles and will weather in a bit.

2. Strip them off, sell them second-hand to offset the cost, match them properly and put it down to experience.

Lessons learnt?

1) Check what you're paying for.

2) Check one more time just exactly what you're paying for.

3) Don't pay until you've got what you're paying for.

4) Don't ever waste your time painting your tiles with yoghurt, cow dung, cement dye, fairy dust or anything else people can come up with.

Jonzjob and The build doctor, unfortunately, I chose the tiles from a catalogue from a company the builder uses called Terreal. The builder suggested I go and take a look at the displays at a local builders firm but they only had two on display. I chose what I thought would be quite brown not only from the photo but also from the name, Brun Rustique. So I really cannot blame him [:(].

Thank you again for all of the advise.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Oh and I should have said, WJT, I always have an infinite supply of the above![/quote]

Cooperlola, I am not sure if that is lucky or not but in any case, I would bet you have lovely roof tiles. [:D]