Tight Pit Sanitation ?????

milims

What is tight pit sanitation? Is it an older version of the septic tank (brick built chamber) or something else? Come across this whilst looking at property listings.Assuming that if it is something like wouldn't be too hard to change to a modern septic tank as the sort of site I'm looking at has land so a re-siting for the new tank wouldn't be out of the question, then I don't have to watch out for anybody flushing toilets etc for the couple of days whilst i'm digging the hole and getting the new tank set up!

Any assitance would be appreciated.

Chris 

If it is a "fosse etance" (what I would have called a cess pit in English) then I beleive there may be solutions.  We had one in the UK - a complete nightmare and very expensive to maintain as they fill up in a matter of weeks.  Our neighbours installed a "processor" for theirs, which purified the effluent before it entered the pit.  They do exist but where, and whether they are acceptable in France, I will try to ascertain.

Sounds pretty much as I thought then! Think best bet is if poperty has this to g ahead and fit a septic tank instead. Actually if there is enough land would consider the idea of grey water holding tank as well. Might come in handy for those summer droughts that see to be cropping up more frequently now! 

Thanks for your input

Chris