book in English for general house wiring in France ?

friend of stouby

This question has come up so many times, we might wonder why no-one has responded to the demand by producing such a book. But perhaps on a dedicated Forum such as this, the demand seems higher than it really is.

I know nothing about "book sales v costs" but I imagine it would take quite a lot of sales to make it profitable. Pity, though.

There's no reason why some enterprising Sparks shouldn't write and sell an eBook, surely? Almost no publishing costs and a possible steady (but small) sale, almost all of which would be profit.

edit: in fact, no reason why there shouldn't be a series of 'how to' eBooks aimed at the English in France. How to get a permis de construire et al.

What about ebooks - I am sure I bought one (very cheaply) whch told me all about sat TV installation. I reckon that if two forum members got together they could knock together what we need to know and I'd certainly pay to down load it from a site (perhaps Living France, perhaps a private one). I am sure my old brain tells me that we have a magazine editor (all be it shipping) and at least one electrician. Then there are the plumbers. OR would one of our experts in the french lingo like to contact the Pas a Pas publishers and offer to translate and flog as ebooks???????

EDIT. I must write out 100 times.... always read the post again before posting a reply to make sure there hasn't been an addition since you first read it at work.

Shimble

I'd find one useful because I like to have a book handy, it can be a bit hit & miss to post and then hope that an expert responds in time.

Dick

I've been told that my trouble with spelling is that my mind works faster than my fingers. It seems a bit far fetched to me, but if it gets me of the hook, I'll run with it.

EDIT I'll put his edit in before I actually submit it for the first time. It'll save time in the long run.

'of the hook'.  I say....

Put this into your signature:

This email message is a natural product.

The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

And Bob's your uncle, all bases covered!

I saw a US website today where 'realise' was identified as a spelling mistake...

edit: Dammit - I made a spelling mistake in the signature line about spelling mistakes!

No longer sure if I'm on topic but am enjoying it all anyway, ....  as a poor second best, is there a wonderful book on wiring UK homes ? one that maybe is pitched under an electricians examination course but a little up from a rank beginner.

Not sure why I asked this but know I can get help with edit if I need !

Thanks

On a serious note, I am absolutely hopeless at proof reading my posts. I "read" what I think I've written and not what is actually there. But if I leave it an hour or so, I then read it properly and realise what an ar se I've made of myself.

EDIT I meant to say, Thanks Dick, I will steal that signature phrase. Do you want me to add copyright details?

EDIT AGAIN Or did you ste... borrow it from somebody else.

On topic again (Amusing and diverting as the meander was!)

When I first started my French project, I paid a Brit electrician (Edit: a registered artisan working in Normandy and had been for quite a few years), a small consulting fee to answer a number of my questions.

I suggested to him that a small primer on French wiring Dos and Donts in English, would be a good idea, as I write on technical areas and he could provide the core knowledge.

His main concern was liability. And time.............

Still a good idea, though.

An eBook or even, perhaps, a DVD/CD ??

One can, apparently, purchase the full French regulations in English: however, it costs some £850!

Yes, we all have to watch for those smelling pistakes (probably copyright Ronnie Barker and if it wasn't then it should have been).

One of our forum users, an English-speaking French-registered electrician based near Mayenne, was seriously thinking of writing just such a book. I wonder if the idea got any further?