Housekeepers / Cleaners going rate?

Hi,

I have been house hunting in the Pas de Calais for a few months and hope to have found the right house.

How easy it to get a housekeeper/cleaner and what is the going rate??

My mother 76 year old is moving out to France with me and as I will be commuting back to the UK 2 or 3 times a week I dont want her to start to try and do the work (it is after all her retirment) and would want to get someone in to do.

Any suggestions please

G

If you're going to be in the Montreuil/Hesdin/Fruges area, you may find it useful to contact an organisation called R.E.S. which exists to find work opportunities for unemployed people.  They can supply cleaners, gardeners, decorators, general labourers, etc., as well as waiters and washers up for when you're having big parties.

The employer pays 13€25 per hour.  This includes all the insurances and social charges which you would be illegally avoiding if ou employ someone "on the black".  You are therefore fully covered in the event of any accident to the emloyee.

The best bit, though, is that you can deduct 50% of the total directly from your annual tax bill, so the real cost to you is only 6€63 per hour, which is probably less than hiring on the black.

The contract is very flexible.  You set the dates and hours of work, and you get a proper contract from RES.  You pay on invoice one month in arrears.  I am currently employing a gardener this way, and I have previously had a painter/decorator for a week so I personally recommend the scheme.

RES can be contacted on 03 21 03 43 33 (Fruges) or 03 21 81 82 82 (Montreuil)

Patrick