Cork rather than plasterboard...

Mark

...has been recommended to me by my plumber as a cost-effective and enviro-friendly possibility for the partition walls I'm currently cursing my way through the construction of.  The walls are enclosing a new en-suite bathroom, so he reckons the cork would be better at absorbing damp from the shower too.  Sounds sensible.

Anyone recommend this route?

Went on the world's slowest train journey through the Portuguese cork farms several years ago.  Hot, dusty, could have been on one of those trans-Indian routes the BBC keep filming if there'd been one or two locals on the roof.

[quote user="Mark"]

...  The walls are enclosing a new en-suite bathroom, so he reckons the cork would be better at absorbing damp from the shower too. 

[/quote]

Far better to vent away the humidity than let it be absorbed into the partition walls, if absorbtion were desirable we wouldn't bother with green M/R plasterboard.

I was thinking that perhaps cork discourages mould growth (as opposed to plasterboard) but after smelling and tasting a corked wine last night I think that your plumber is winding you up!

Interesting the French plumber's recommendation as in our house we have a cork wall.  At least I think its cork, its does a good impression of it anyway.  Its in slabs approx 500x800x50mm and looks very easy to make a wall with.  Its black in colour which makes me suspicious that its treated in some way, fire proofing may be, or it might not actually be cork?  Its obviously designed for use in a bath/shower room as this is the only cork wall we have and its - wait  for it - a shower room!

Fully agree that ventilation is key,  by all means make your salle d'eau spalsh proof, but without good working ventilation, damp will be a major problem.