Electrical installation standards in old houses

BobDee

I am a little confused here as what seems to being said in some quarters is that to wire in singles pulled through containment is unusual in the UK?

A huge amount of commercial installations are wired this way in the UK.

I guess the major difference is probably an increase in the size of cable to allow for the lack of ring circuit and a limitation on the number of  outlets possible on each radial.

I am toying with using a couple of UK (MK) distribution boards as I have them to hand, I dont know however if they will comply with the Normes they are MCB RCD protected, anyone know?

The other thing is that the Insurance Mindset is not the same as in the UK.

There are very few accidental events in their world view. Someone is usually to blame, and wherever possible they will seek to recover whatever they pay out from the person who caused the incident.

If there is an electrical fire, the existence of British wiring practice is first class evidence that the wiring was badly done, and so provides a route for them to save money.

You may all have your views on how you think you can wire domestic premises up in France but I would do a lot of reading of the French Normes or consult a qualified Electrician who is familiar with them to ensure you have got it right. Most of the earthing that I have come across here is like UK TT. Wiring Earth to Neutral within the premises would probably be a bad idea with the usual supplies here. Also a proper Earth doesn't carry any extraneous RF noise like the Neutral here in France probably does. Blue wires in France are for Neutral and Green/Yellow is for earth. If you wire it any other way then you are asking for unwanted complications.

[quote user="BobDee"]

I am about to add power to a cellar we have here. I will probably use materials at hand, which means UK sourced twin and earth cable. It will be done to professional standards and will be safe. I will use French sockets, which by the way are not a patch on UK 13A from a safety point of view. The installation will include a workbench festooned with 13A sockets to suit the large amount of UK electronic equipment I have.

BobDee   

[/quote]

Just remembered that it is interdit to use surface clipped wiring in cellars or damp areas, you must use N.F. plastic conduit and sealed sockets and junction boxes etc.

If you use surface clipped UK T+E it will not be viewed as either professional or safe by Consuel or an insurance loss adjuster.

I remember watching one of those "no going back" programs recently, the guy had done his own electrics and I noticed surface clipped wiring in the cellar, later on in the program he finally got in an electrician who condemned his work, and charged 5000 (or in truth probably more) euros to put it all right.