Chalet in the Vendee?

My French second home is about three hours inland from the sea. We plan to retire to this lovely old farmhouse in the not-too-distant future.

We also have a bit of a desire to buy a holiday chalet in the Vendee by the coast...

Does anybody know of any good quality sites that are not too crammed full of chalets and caravans? What sort of prices do they fetch? And does anyone have any knowledge of any that are currently for sale?

Thanks!    

[quote user="Prasutagus"]

We also have a bit of a desire to buy a holiday chalet in the Vendee by the coast...

Does anybody know of any good quality sites that are not too crammed full of chalets and caravans?

Thanks!    

[/quote]

I did see your posting first time around but to be honest it's a very big question to answer.

We live about 10 minutes from the coast and I have a couple of (French) friends who own campsites.

There has been an explosion of mobile home and, to a lesser extent, chalet ownership in the last few years. Trying to find a "quality" site that isn't full is nigh on impossible. Whereas you can find larger emplacements on inland sites that is generally not the case on the coast.

What I would initially suggest is that you spend time visiting the coastal area that interests you both at this time of the year and also in the height of the July/August season. You will find a vast difference in the "feel" of the place in high season.

Bear in mind that a lot of French people enjoy crowded swimming pool complexes, busy restaurants and noisy bars as part of their holidays!

If there's anything more specific that you want to ask then fire away or PM me.

I was going to point you at Barry's forum (see his link above), but wasn't sure if we were allowed to recommend other forums!

I know a British-owned campsite about 20km from the coast, near a lake (but not overlooking water), where they have nice mobile homes that are owned as second-homes.  But it didn't sound quite what you were looking for.  Don't know of any chalets.

The Vendee-based Beneteau boat company makes very flashy things called "O'Hara", which look a bit chalet-like but I think they are dolled-up mobile homes.  I think there is a complex of them at the lotus park between Talmont and Luçon.  Are they "chalets"?  Only you can tell...

Ah, just found a link http://www.domaine-des-lotus-prl.com/  and the magic word "chalet" is mentioned.  [:)]

Hope it's helpful.

Angela

www.the-vendee.co.uk

Angela - thank you very much, that is a really helpful response.

Perhaps I should not have empahsised 'chalet' too much. A decent quality mobile home might do the trick.

What I am planning for is, if and when we sell up here in Norfolk (with its east, north and west coasts) we will really miss the sea. Our home in France is about three hours drive inland from the Vendee and we just thought it would be great to have a bolt-hole in fairly close proximity to the coast - but I will not have a massive amount of money to spend on it. So, I am still looking and will pursue your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want a bit more peace and quiet you may also consider a "terrain de loisir" - a bit of land in the woods where you can site your own chalet, mobile home tent or whatever.  I've seen a few for sale in agents-they seem to be popular with the French.