Washing machine connectrions

Freespirit

We are in the process of packing prior to movng to Dordogne and planning to take our Bosch washing machine.  It has a hot and cold feed whereas I have been told that French machines only use a cold feed.  This is the arrangement in the house we are buying.  The way around this seems to be to build a Y connection into the cold supply so that cold water goes into the hot and cold inlets simultaneously.  I intend to put this together before we leave and just check out that the machine works OK on a cold only supply.  Could anyone let me know if the thread on a French washing machine connector is the same as on a UK one?  If not what type is it.

Thanks

Keith

Before you disconnect in the UK, test it out by turning off the hot water.  If you are worried about the overheating thing, take the cover off the machine and have a feel (if you know what I mean!).  You could even disconnect the wires to the solenoid.......

Alternatively, you could provide a hot feed in your French house?  Simple!

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks as though any of the options will work.  I will try them im order of:

Disconnect hot

Add Y from B&Q

Plumb in hot supply en France - trying to avoid this as many other things to do and her indoors will want a working washing machine ASAP.

Cheers

Keith

You can buy one of those "self cutting" taps that you clamp on to a suitable pipe. I couldn't find my 'y' adaptor when we arrived, so I bought the clamp-on from bricolage and it has worked well ever since. Five minute fix. Now have spare adaptor....

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

might save you buying one

Because they a so expensive. 4.39 Euros at Castorama.A_Y POUR 2 RACCORDS

http://www.castorama.fr/store/CatalogueIndirecte/plomberie-alimentation--alimentation-machine---laver-accessoires/p-categorie_9634-casto_product-PRDm516861.htm

[/quote]

That is the wrong sex! (That takes 2 feeds into a single inlet)  You want the other sex. You know missus...

Have seen your message this morning Wednesday 

Yes French connection is on cold only, but why is it complicated.  There must be a hot water feed near for the basin or sink so you could form a new branch. Dont forget if you sell the house eventually to a french person to explain that the second(hot) connection is simply a quirk for the BRITS .    Can I help you in the Dordogne, in the trade and can travel regards  richard 

[quote user="Nicos"]Anyone thought of contacting bosch and asking their advice????

[/quote]

Why???????

I'd be interested to know if Bosch would give you a sensible answer  Probably along the lines of that product is not for the French market and we advise to buy a new machine in France.  Bosch is now just another faceless organisation, badge marking products.  Not sure but Bosch maybe part of the Electrolux group?  If you want a shock, have a look at all the names Electrolux owns...........

[quote user="richard"]

Have seen your message this morning Wednesday 

Yes French connection is on cold only, but why is it complicated.  There must be a hot water feed near for the basin or sink so you could form a new branch. Dont forget if you sell the house eventually to a french person to explain that the second(hot) connection is simply a quirk for the BRITS .    Can I help you in the Dordogne, in the trade and can travel regards  richard 

[/quote]

There are far better ways to squander yr money than unnecessary plumbers. Most countries of the world use cold fill only so all you need is a simple "Y" connector - the machine WILL work and some say that it will be more efficient at getting clothes clean.

John

not

[quote user="Cassis"]Did someone mention sex?
[/quote]

Yes me awd Saus. It's wot we posh people keep our coal in!

Gawd! Some people are fick[8-)]

Kept near the washing machine so we don't need a 'ot tap either?

Ours is connected to both hot and cold, but it will only use the hot on a 60 degree plus wash. Pity really because big G heats our water via the solar panels. I must contact LG to see if there is any way to get it to use the hot on a cold wash, I think[8-)][8-)][:$]

Whilst attempting to be serious, I must report that, due mainly  to a sex problem (see earlier posting), I connected our (UK) hoover washer/dryer to the cold fill only (and blanked off the hot inlet). Problem is, the machine expects water from the hot inlet when doing a 60 degree plus wash. result? Immovable stains down the from of my T shirts (food, of course).

Why do we use a UK washer? Bleedin' French ones keep packing up.