Polyurethane foam?

Jonzjob

I have a small job to do and it needs to have some holes filled with poly foam from a squirty can. Can anyone tell me please what I need to clean me squirter tube afterwards. I think that it is either white spirit or acetone?

Any help please?

I'm a bit apprehensive because the last time I used this stuff a few years back the valve stuck and I managed to get the kitchen wall, window, my leg, the BBQ and several other things, missed the dog though! That was used outside, this time it's in a new, small loo [:-))]!

I'll tell you a funny story about the stuff (true). Fooling around on a building site a guy squirted that stuff over his head and formed a huge, bee-hive 'hairstyle'. Very funny until he tried to remove it. He ended up in hospital with his hair completely removed along with a lot of his scalp.

WD40 helps to remove it but whether you could clean the applicator tube, I don't know. Do you know it sticks better if you lightly spray the holes with water before application ?

Good stuff but horrible...........................

Sunflower oil would have helped your mate on the building site, but it can't be used on me little tube.

It has to be used with the nozzle at the bottom, upside down, so I have wondered if holding it upright and squirting it till it's been blown out would work? That's how you clear spray paints after all???

I did know that it works better on damp surfaces. The same applies for poly glue too. I don't know if you have used that stuff, but it really is good strong stuff. If it had been round at the beginning of time they would have used it to stick muck to blankets [:-))]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I have a small job to do and it needs to have some holes filled with poly foam from a squirty can. Can anyone tell me please what I need to clean me squirter tube afterwards. I think that it is either white spirit or acetone?

Any help please?

[/quote]

Forget cleaning the cans, they never work for more than once regardless of how well you clean them (& it is acetone). Run around finding other holes to fill, then sling it in the bin.

Or buy a pro gun & cartridge (about 40€ for the gun & 8€ for the cartridges).

If all else fails RTFI.  It usually says on the can what to use to clean the nozzel and any spillages.  From personal experience on having to clean up after using the stuff, white spirit or acetone do work but only with quite a bit of elbow grease - so may not be effective in the nozzel.

I've never had much success re-using a can either.  I try to buy the smallest and then, as was said previously, use it on as many places as possible only to find another after I've chucked the can.  Last time I used it I was a bit too enthusiastic and the hole (around a dryer vent) filled up and overflowed like crazy.  Of course, I didn't know this untill I was having a cuppa and foolishly was leaning against the wall I had just squirted.  Managed to stick shirt and trousers to the wall, each other and me.  Ever tried to get someones attention when you're stuck to a wall? Help, can someone bring me a pair of scissors?

Job done and the stuff was all used... Mind you I think that I too may have been a bit enthusiastic in places. It is now trying to make our new loo a bit smaller than it was [:-))]!! Never mind I will attack it when it's dry and show it who's boss.

Thank you all for your help and stories. I am sure that there is a book that could be written about fun a games with the stuff. This lot looks like the green slime from Ghost Busters at the moment. I just hope it don't attack in the middle of the night [blink]?

I am a massive consumer of expanded foam (read bodger!) and can confirm that the only way forward is to use a pro gun and cartridges.

They are massively easier to use, you can regulate the flow to a trickle as opposed to the on/off with a can and also you dont get the finger fatigue.

You can clean the gun after use with the solvent cartridges (which are acetone) and usually the cartridge can be reused many times.

You can also leave the cartridge attached to the gun for short periods between jobs, I will reuse mine after typing this, it has been on the bench for 2 days but you must remember to fasten tightly the regulation screw if not a tiny bit of moisture will pass into the gun and block it, I have broken 2 guns trying to dismantle them to clean and now have one with large brass fittings although it doesnt block unless I forget and leave the cartridge attached too long.

All of my doors and windows/volet roulant assemblies are held in with foam, no pates de scellement.

I've used this stuff a fair bit, in the cans, and have cleaned up afterwards by letting it set, then removing it with a long drill.

I can confirm that Acetone, (or Propanone, as it should now be known), will clean up any that gets where it oughtn't.

Each time, I've been able to reuse the can until it was empty.

Editted to say: the set stuff makes good firelighters............yes, I KNOW it probably gives off noxious fumes.

I always used to use an old paint brush to flick some water onto surfaces to make it bond,worth remembering that it is EXPANDING foam. I believe sunlight breaks down the surface,so if exposed needs to be painted. Last but not least ,I hope it doesn't break down with time otherwise from what I've seen of D.G.window fitters, there will be a lot of windows falling out.

Regards. 5 mins St.Malo

[quote user="Ab"]

Be careful with this material as in the event of a fire very toxic fumes can be released .

I personally would use very little isocyanate cured materials in my home.

[/quote]

There's only a tiny bit that's going to be plastered over. It's only there to make the plastering job a little easier and not so deep.

All Ihave to do now is to remove the wayward bits wiv me 'aksaw blade and we are in business. Shame that I had to put the inline 4 inch connector on my woodwork lathe to make sure of a sliding fit when I cut into the main foul drain on route to our fosse. It was easy to move it if you had enough time ad a BIG 'ammer! Now a nice sliding fit!!

Electrical plumbing and me, no problems, but plumbing wiv water and there are tears [+o(]...

Recent Years Experience:

Not worth the effort. Treat it as an excuse to pile all the jobs up so you can do them in opne day, this year/next year.

An Attempt to be More Helpful

I think that the solvent for polyurethane was MEK. But if you google 'solvent for Polyurethane' you might get a differnt answer. AFAIR acetone was the solvent of choice for superglue or any of the tube solvent glues (though washing up liquid also worked on superglue).

Good luck

John

Recent Years Experience:

Not worth the effort. Treat it as an excuse to pile all the jobs up so you can do them all in one day, this year/next year. This is FRANCE.

An Attempt to be More Helpful

I think that the solvent for polyurethane was MEK. But if you google 'solvent for Polyurethane' you might get a different answer. AFAIR acetone was the solvent of choice for superglue or any of the tube-solvent glues (though washing up liquid also worked on superglue).

P.S.

Do NOT line the tube with water. Water helps the reaction. 

Good luck

John

I've a number of mouse size holes next to the floor boards in the bedroom [:-))]  and have bought said squirty stuff, do I need to put anything on the floor boards first to make cleaning the exbanded foam off them easier, there not great floorboards but I don't really want stains or rough patches on them