solid wood worktops

sniffyterrence

Ikea do some good ones too.

It may be better now, but when we wanted some teak-style (iroko) worktops with sink cut-out and drainange grooves for our first French house I ended up getting them made by a sawmill in England (www.wlwest.co.uk). They just weren't available in France then - menuisiers could make them, but they didn't really understand the concept , unlike the English company which is producing them all the time, and the prices were horrendous. No problem taking them over - they fitted nicely in the back of our Transit and the factory is more or less on the way to the Portsmouth ferry.

Ref Ikea Nantes. Make sure you don't go on a Saturday. If you do take flask and sandwiches to eat while trying to get into the Atlantis car park. We went last Thursday and that was bad enough but it was well worth the visit. Very clean centre with lots of various shops/cafes etc, and nicely built and laid out.

As usual came back with loads of things that we probably don't need but they look good.Did buy a light fitting for 35E that was 125e in our neck of the woods.

Regards.

We have tiled worktops here (previous owner) and would be changed if it were not for the fact that we are moving.

However wood work tops are they sealed so that no nasties gets into them?

Before coming to France our work tops were black granite and I think came from India or Pakistan and they were wonderful and that may be our preferred route in our next kitchen.  But...........in a recent programme on TV I witnessed what the people in India and Pakistan got paid for very dangerous work in obtaining granite which then looks marvellous in one's kitchen.  I am not sure if I can benefit from other peoples misery!

rdgs

Don't worry, you are very close to the granite capital of France, probably the best place anywhere to get worktops. If it would be possible to arrange worktops for your next kitchen before you move, then definitely do so.

Wood worktops are generally oiled - they have to be re-done from time to time but the result is well worth it.

Nasties in wood worktops is very much overplayed.

The change from wood to plastic chopping boards caused an increase in salmonella.  This is because regularly washed down, wood is more hygenic than plastic because the natural products in wood kill many bugs.  Bugs getting into scratches in a plastic chopping board are very difficult to get at even with bleach.

We got ours in Ikea (UK) - a LOT cheaper than elsewhere - around £110 for 2.4m (Oak) as opposed to around £300 elsewhere, and they are a decent thickness not the cheapo thin ones.  It did take us 4 months to get the last piece as they didn't have any in stock for ages, they got 20 in one day and it all went out the same day (you can't reserve them and we weren't in the UK that day) - actually, now I think about it, in the end I gave up and did it a different way so we could use a smaller size!  The oak ones are a little rough, but I think that is a quality of oak, the beech and birch ones are smoother, but IMO they didn't suit our older house.  It seems to have taken ages to get them oiled up enough to be useful, and you do have to keep re-doing it, but as Will pointed out, well worth it.

I heard that apparently a new Ikea was opening up in Poitiers (near Castorama I think).  I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to it!

Matt

I have owned and maintained beechblock worktops in the UK and France for the past 17 years.

Initially I followed the advice of oiling them at regular intervals, but got fed up with that and dicovered that if you use a good quality polyeurethane varnish it looks just as good and lasts a lot longet than oiling.

When it gets scuffed and scratched, just a quick rub down and another coat does the trick.

If using varnish after oiling you must first remove all traces of oil

[quote user="andyh4"]

Nasties in wood worktops is very much overplayed.

The change from wood to plastic chopping boards caused an increase in salmonella.  This is because regularly washed down, wood is more hygenic than plastic because the natural products in wood kill many bugs.  Bugs getting into scratches in a plastic chopping board are very difficult to get at even with bleach.

[/quote]

One local authority banned all wood cutting boards and then chose to do the research to prove what they had done was justified, but found the exact opposite. Certain exotic hardwoods are excellent apparently. It might not be the same with the 99p shop pine el cheapos.

[quote user="Chris Head"]Wood is passe...plastic is becoming hip![/quote]

Custom glass counter tops with integrated bowls are becoming popular, but at about 3000 quid combined with the 'unusual' look, they are a niche item.

Concrete poured in situ is another matter. It only has the unusual look, but not the price tag.