selling costs

I am now being a bit lazy and after looking through the site I am still unsure about tax when you sell your house here.We are under offer and as its our only home and plan to move back to the uk do we have to pay any tax here or back in the uk.I know the buyer pays all the fees here just want to check we are not liable for anything here.

If as described this is your only property, then no Capital Gains Tax is due.  Be prepared however for the notaire to hang on to a portion of the sales income in case some tax liabilities turn up after you return to the UK.  Probably best to ask how much this might be and whether he will do this himself or require you to find a guarantor.

After a period of time, any monies left will be returned to you - but possibly only to your French account (something else to check with the notaire).  This seems to depend on the notaire and what he considers to be the "correct" procedures.

If you have something that might be deemed a business; for example a house with attached gites , fishing lake etc, your Notaire may well seek to apply capital gains tax to some of the proceeds.

It can be quite a murky area.

Friends who sold their house with three gites they had converted themselves from the attached barns had a very unpleasant surprise on the day before the final signing.

Thanks for the replies and its as I pretty well thought,but while I am here is it correct that the person living in the house on the 1st January pays all the taxe de habitation and taxe foncieres I know we would get it back prorate but would have to wait for the money back as the people buying want to move second week of January.

[quote user="mint"]The person living there on 1 January pays the TH for the whole year and the TF is proportioned.

[/quote]

At the time of the sale, in the notaire's office, we paid the seller the proportional part of the TF for the remainder of the year by cheque. He would then receive the bill for the year at the normal time, which is October hereabouts, and pay it.

We received a bill in our name the following year.

Sue