Insolation

Ozpete

Hi

I followed a string recently on Tri-Iso Super 9 vs expanded poly- styrene (EPS)foam . I subsequently read that in the UK they have determined that Tri-Iso 9 is not as good as good an insulator as 200mm of mineral glass wool (claimed to equivalent by manufacturers).

Can anyone give me a comparison of Tri-Iso Super 9 with the 10cm thick blue EPS(I think ?) foam ?

Also can anyone provide the cost comparisons of Tri-Iso/Blue EPS per m2 ?

Finally I discovered that you can buy Tri-Iso Super 10 in the UK (replaced Surer 9)which has additional layers and hence better insulation . Is it available in France any idea of the price & experience?

Many thanks for any help. I want to use it in a large tiled attic between battens and plasterboard .

All and any of the multi layer systems are available in France provided they are installed with taped joints do acheive their manufacturres claims in the last anlaysis they are not as good as mineral wool . Unlike mineral wool they do not leave the guy who installed them with an urgeant need to shower every hour for the next five days.

I use a mixture of mineral wool for vertical stub walls where there is no risk on rain ingress and Tri Iso underneath roofs.

Even if you can't gett he Tri Iso product, there are plenty of others available here.

I wouldn't use them any more. I've tried, but like many others have discovered that they are not as good as rock wool or glass fibre (space requirements apart). Plenty more expensive, tho'.

Nick I think I agree - I read on the web that the manuf. of Tri-Iso Super 9 has admitted its real R value is around 1.7 not 5 as claimed (200mm glass wool equivalent)-see www.celotex.co.uk.

Have you used YBS Super Quilt or is it the same as Tri Iso ?

Hi all,

I've been looking at the various threads concerning the best wall insulation products with interest for our barn conversion. Initially we liked the idea of the foil layers as we were planning to put wooden batons on first, then the insulation followed by further studs then plasterboard. Being typical old stone walls we thought this would be good for creating an air gap between the stone and the insulation to allow the walls to 'breathe'. It seems most people are of the opinion that the foil layers still do not come up to scratch compared to Rockwall and so we are having second thoughts. We were hoping to have the equivalent of the 200mm and as space isn't a huge concern we could go with the Rockwall, however I'm still concerned that any damp that penetrates through the walls will soak into the insulation. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Secondly, for internal partition walls, I would appreciate any suggestions for what is best for the acoustic values. We will have some timber stud walls and some block walls. For the block walls, if we dot and dab plasterboard, would we need insulation too? Presumably for the timber stud walls we can use Rockwall but don't really know what thickness would be required here.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.[kiss]

Lorraine

We are going with the egg box vertical dpc on our stone walls, breather membrane fibreglass batts slotted into MF studding then foil backed plasterboard.

Egg box will extend below slab level and allow moisture to travel up and down as need be.

I have been advised to allow walls to remain damp so try to isolate areas within in this fashion I shall repoint the walls first though to try to prevent loose mortar blocking the drainage channels.

Lofts and rockwool  surprised me I was going to staple the foiled bubble wrap to back of battens then use the paper faced rockwool equivalent above the placo......maybe I need a re think?

I've used a combination of the two.  I started with the multi-layer foil stuff in the bathroom and found it didn't make much difference to keeping heat in - I've now supplemented that with 100mm glass wood above it between the beams (using the foil underneath makes a great way of keeping it in position!) and it has made quite a difference, but I think that is as much to do with the fact that when I installed the glass wool it gave me the opportunity to block up a lot of drafts (a lot easier with glass wool than the foil product), and I'm sure that made as much difference as the extra insulation itself.

One thing I would say in favour of the foil product (aside from easy of application, not dirty, itchy etc.!) is that it is damn good at keeping the summer heat out.  I put it in part of our attic, but didn't have enough to finish the whole attic - this was during late summer.  Whenever I went into the attic on a sunny day, the difference in heat between the 'foiled' roof area and the unfoiled area was enormous.

Matt