Surface mounted trunking............

Ford Anglia

............why's it so dear? I was looking at tidying up some of my wiring, especially in the kitchen, where dozens of wires are on show, but the price of the trunking puts me off.

I mean, come on, it's only an extrusion and comes off a machine at about 200 metres a minute.

I'm talking about the stuff that's about 50-75mm high by about 30mm deep.

You wait until you have to pay for the 250mm wide stuff for the tableau!

I have some old wooden mini-trunking in my house which is the same diemnsions as the stuff  I used by the kilometer in England.

I am tempted to use UK stuff in the future (my cheapest supplier was BDC, especially for the bigger stuff, but it was crappy) and after passing one Consuel inspection I am reasonably confident that they would not insist on NF trunking.

The only thing I can say to defend the French stuff is that it is more aesthetically pleasing and that the surface mount sockets and light switches (equally expensive) are designed to blend in with it.

The price does vary a lot between suppliers so you need to shop around. But don't just think about price.

1. Using surface trunking has the added advantage of knowing exactly where all your cables run.

2. It avoids all the problems associated with the rules of where you are allowed to bury wiring in walls and partitions.

3. It will be easier in the future when you want to make changes or add switches and sockets.

Just my thoughts and experiences based on having installed several different lots of gaine (truncking)

Search around....I bought my last lot from Bricomarche for around 80c per 2 point something metre piece on Promo, tho even normally it is only about 1 euro a piece.  Elsewhere it was several times that price for exactly the same stuff - as you've found out!

Matt