New Vs Old Properties

"In Brittany - certainly the bit we are in anyway - wash machines are usually found in the garage"

When we bought our house (in 17) the only suitable place we had for the washing machine was in the garage. Now we have put in a shower room upstairs and improved the one downstairs we have been able to move the machine indoors. A great improvement because now we don't have to move the machine inside for the winter months. Also if the clean washing is dropped on the floor at least it falls onto clean tiles and not the dusty concrete.[:)]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

Also if the clean washing is dropped on the floor at least if falls onto clean tiles and not the dusty concrete.[:)] [/quote]

Why would you drop clean washing on the floor - now dirty washing I could understand? [Www][Www]

Sue

The French no longer have an infatuation with the Bidet, which due to rapidly declining use is rarely included in new French builds these days. Something to do with the French having showers and baths more frequently instead.

The custom in France of having the toilet in a seperate area to the bathroom is based on good hygiene principles and is normal in many countries such as the USA. I believe it is being encouraged in the UK with new builds, where space permits.

Why? Well without trying to gross everyone out, studies have shown that if you have a toilet in a small bathroom you can end up with facael and urine contamination on your toothbrushes. Something that is made worse by men usually flushing the toilet with the seat lid left up!!!!!

Spogster, I still prefer to have the toilet located in the bathroom but perhaps not so dangerously close to the sink. [blink]  I don't like the idea of not having a sink in the loo to wash your hands. I am surprised to hear that new builds are still building this way.  I would assume that most Brits buying in France make the changes to the bathrooms like Gardengirl. We certainly will be knocking through the walls of the separate toilets into the bathrooms.

By the way, I am having a little separate laundry room built where there is a downstairs shower room that isn't needed. The laundry room will be accessed through a downstairs loo so not ideal but is the only place we have for one. However, it appears in this part of France at least many French have their washing machine and tumble dryer in bathrooms unlike Brits having them in a kitchen.

We bought a semi derelict longere - basically an empty shell with a roof actually - so we put what we want where we want it.   My hubby has built a fab contemporary shower room/loo as the house's first ever facility where we could have put the washer as it is big enough, but said machine is in our utility/dog's bedroom (the little room where the new stairs are).   There,  its convenient but out of the way.  Not sure about having it in the garage / barn though - would it not freeze solid during winter, especially in the more Northerly parts of France?  Personally we love our Olde Worlde country farmhouse and would not entertain a new build, specifically as having had a brand new house here in UK proved just as much a pain as doing up a really old one, what with drying plasterwork cracking, "You can't paint for a year...." etc.    Maybe its me, but new houses have neither the character nor substance to them, with flimsy plaster stud walls and puny breeze blockwork.  Give me those substantial 18 inch thick walls in France any day!    

[quote user="moya"] Not sure about having it in the garage / barn though - would it not freeze solid during winter, especially in the more Northerly parts of France?     [/quote]

Ahh, yes, forgot about that aspect; here in south Morbihan, living by the sea, we don't normally have the low winter temperatures that are seen in the more northerly parts of France or in the interior. Perhaps that explains why there are so many laundry room areas in garages here!

Sue [:)]

[quote user="Sprogster"]

Why? Well without trying to gross everyone out, studies have shown that if you have a toilet in a small bathroom you can end up with facael and urine contamination on your toothbrushes. Something that is made worse by men usually flushing the toilet with the seat lid left up!!!!!

[/quote]

Nothing to do with men not shutting the lid, more likely it's the fault of the woman for hiding the loo brush!

Good question, R/H.  Maybe their guests turn up with periscopes and study the underside of the rims of their loos?  Bizarre the lenghts some people will go to!

I used to clean houses once (never my own, you understand, one has to draw the line somewhere).  One day, I was hoovering the cobwebs off the ceiling of the kitchen of a client's house and she asked me what I was doing.  When I explained, she said, "Oh, don't bother doing that - I never look up there."  My kinda gal.