New Vs Old Properties

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An old house now with lots of character because that's what we had in the UKand have got used to.  Also, we wanted peace and quiet and as few near neighbours as possible and most truly rural properties are old anyway.  However, we fully expect to go somewhere modern and convenient when we get too old to put up with all the work!

As most people know a lot of the the french prefer new, as we like old world/french charm. Some other reason's are space, agreed give me rural living, but again in the future it might be a case of new and simple. Sod trying to get up a roof, in a few years time, but for now 'live the dream'

I've always lived in old houses, apart from once when I lived somewhere where there were none.

I definitely prefer them.

However, looking at the new bungalow opposite me, I'm now thinking I'd rather live in her house, and look at mine.[:)]

Tresco, I can certainly understand that, lovely views are very important. [:)] Certainly old for me. I will probably be shot down for this but if I wanted new I would probably think of other areas in the world other than France. One of the many aspects I love about France is the history and beautiful old buildings, castles, houses and cottages. I don't think I will ever tire of seeing them here.

Having said that, as with Cooperlola, I can certainly imagine in my twilight years living in perhaps a flat overlooking the sea somewhere with a very easy life. Of course the memories of my old beautiful French house will keep me going. [:)]   That is of course, if we ever get through the renovations alive. [:-))]

We have a 200 year old house is the Charente Maritime which is beautiful but rather like the Forth Road Bridge! Thinking of moving & are tempted by something a bit newer - i.e. no leaks, less maintenance but still some character, by the sea in a lively village with good weather, lovely French neighbours, not too many Brits - does this sort of place exist for around 150,000 euros?!?  Old means continual work but is it worth it?

[quote user="robkat"] Thinking of moving & are tempted by something a bit newer - i.e. no leaks, less maintenance but still some character, by the sea in a lively village with good weather, lovely French neighbours, not too many Brits - does this sort of place exist for around 150,000 euros?!??[/quote]

Not here it doesn't - we've got all your requirements except the price! Even a plot - 740sq mtrs costs from 190000 euros ad infinitum, then you've got to build your nice new house at 1200+ euros per sq mtr.

Sue

Doubtfull!!!Maude.Beaten by the earlier reply .We have noticed around our area of SE Vendee the proliferation of new build-but they all look the same- even the crepi is the same colour-ton pierre or ton pierre!Its going to look awfully characterless in a few years with no differing architecture.At least in the UK on the lotisements,the houses generally have differing features of brickwork etc -but with all new houses being built of crepi,d blocks,then rendered to hide the quality-- very boring!However talking to the locals we know,due to the low wages generally and limited budgets-they prefer new build.At least they know their outgoings.Trouble is they all move onto the lotissements then ,a)build a dog kennel for their outside living dog,followed by a chicken house!The countryside is not as quiet as we dreamed of-just dont want to see France covered in beige boxes.Meanwhile cant get any interest in our house sale due to the low prices of the new builds,compared to what we paid for this place nearly 5 years ago.C,est la vie!!!Maude 

I used to prefer the older houses in France because of all the "hidden potential". However after quite a few years of hard work trying to realise that hidden potential I think a new build on a well situated piece of land would suit me better.

[quote user="fulcrum"]I used to prefer the older houses in France because of all the "hidden potential". However after quite a few years of hard work trying to realise that hidden potential I think a new build on a well situated piece of land would suit me better.[/quote]

Much as we would love an old house, it has suited us to buy a plot and have a new house built, which we hope to move into in September!

It has taken nearly three years to buy the plot and get the house built, but again, this has been great as we have been able to budget over the timescale and make regular payments on the build, instead of buying outright. We have now sold our property in Devon and are living in a tiny cottage while we gradually transfer our home across the pond. It is not the prettiest plot but it turned out to be one of the best as the entire village is going on mains drainage and our plot  was in one of only 2 roads already on the tout a l'egout, also it is next door to the local bar/tabac, an added bonus! Shops are within a 5 minute walk and the beach is about 20 minutes away. With a 60 metre garden, completely undeveloped, "him outdoors" didn't want to have a house to renovate as well. Central heating, a wood burner and double glazing  become more appealing the older I get! At least there won't be too much to do to the house in the next 10 -15 years.

Fandango

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]When people stop me in the street and ask my opinions on something, I suspect something fishy and then walk on with my mouth shut![/quote]

Um, yes, but this is a forum, which is a place you have registered (anonymously)  to be able to publically express your opinion.

What's the problem? Unless your question is specifically to do with this particular poster, that is?

Funny how things change. When I bought here 20 odd years ago I could only afford an old house new build was not an option, as it was in England 40 odd years ago. The money pit I have still has the "P" word but at a cost. Me I would have new build with old materials Central heating with the option of open fire. Chopping wood is hard work and the place is always dusty. I love the "charm" of old houses but as I get older I dont want work of "doing them up"or the continual housework needed to keep them dust free. I work outside most of the year and dont need a cold house when I come home doing everthing my ones self is a chore.. However if one wants to live in the countryside in a newbuild it must blend in, and newbuild in old style build costs a lot of money Catch 22.

Mel

We have renovated and extended an old barn. I often ask myself why we have done this, because there are no original features left (and I love houses with lots of them!) apart from one beam and the stone walls on the outside. All other beams had to be replaced, and inside it is all "placoed" and highly insolated and we don't even have a resident mouse now!

Having spent the last three years living with "old and characterful" I will be overjoyed to move into our brand new house next month.  Like many other people, I bought into the french dream of an old stone house, replete with nooks and crannies, old fireplace, wonky windows, a boiler straight out of the ark and no insulation.  It's a beautiful little house, and I have loved living here, but for me it really does now seem like time to stop living in a museum and move into the 21st century.

I was lucky in that my little house didn't need renovation work, and was in a reasonable condition, but faced with a choice of staying here and doing the work needed to turn it into my dream home, or start from scratch on a great plot just outside the same village, it wasn't a difficult decision. 

We designed our new home ourselves, and decided against a traditional style.  Yes it will have stone coloured crepie like most of the other houses in the village, the architect of the batiments de France wouldn't have it any other way.  In the Lot we are not allowed to indulge in fanciful exterior colour schemes, or even to remove crepie from existing stone buildings if we live within 500 metres of a listed monument.  It took us three redesigns before the plans were approved, but at least now if we don't like the end result we will no-one but ourselves to blame.

Initially we thought about a restoration but having spent many years "doing up" our pre 18th century UK property and seen the potential scale of the task in France we decided that we'd had enough of the work and mess and continual upkeep and quite surprised ourselves by buying a 70's house.

There is still plenty enough work to do be done though because although fully functional and in excellent condition externally, internally the house doesn't look as though it's been touched since it was built so we are starting with almost a blank canvas. 

We did look at some restored places but mostly they had been done up as holiday homes and whilst great for that purpose were not neccessarily ideal for full time living.

I have to say that the majority of new builds I see going up I find simply apalling. Cozy and efficient they might be but for the most part still antiseptic formula clones totally deviod of architectural merit or character. Considering the diversity and beauty of much French property I can't help thinking that one day they will look back and wonder why they ever allowed some of these developments to take place.  

Whilst I'm sure our house wouldn't suit everybody it does suit us and ultimately that's all that matters [:D]

Having had one French house which, although not a renovation, was "all character and cobwebs" we subsequently bought a house built about 30 years ago. It is in the perigord style and has a mock tower/pigeonnier. All the ground floor rooms have at least one french door so it has character. There are a good number of new builds around the area and I must say that they are not the pink pavillion type and are varied in style. The only thing I don't like about a lot of them is the use of roller shutters. They are practical and secure but they can make a house look a bit dead.

[quote user="Tresco"]

Going on from my previous response. (I'm slow, sometimes).

Admin, are you looking for 'responses' to cut/paste and put in a magazine article?

[/quote]No response on this one Tresco but I certainly felt that could be the only reason for Admin' to start such a thread themselves, non?

[quote user="Tresco"]

Admin, are you looking for 'responses' to cut/paste and put in a magazine article?

[/quote]

I was about to post a response to the thread then had the same thought so didn't post my thoughts/comments.

Ian

Edited by Russethouse, to increase font size[:)]

Funny these comments. The free forum that we enjoy is owned, managed, supported and funded by a magazine of French interest. [blink]

Here I go again. [:-))]  Some of the other comments particularly about the many new builds in France I find very interesting. I made a comment on this in the past and was shot down but couldn't agree more. I agree with the comment that in the future France will regret having allowed this uncontrolled building that is taking place at an unbelievable pace without any forethought and certainly spoiling some of the beauty and heritage that we all so love. I would imagine most if not all French people love as well. Of course there is a need for low cost housing but surely there must be a better way as been discussed in detail in the past. Very sad. [:(]