2 Families on the move

[quote user="riff_raff"]Hi thanks for the link, no I hadn't seen lake before.  The one we are hoping for is not on the market.  It is a friend of a friend who is selling it, who happened to mention that he was selling his lake and land the day after we had told the friend we were looking for a lake in France!!  We should have all the pictures by wednesday this week.  It is quite exciting here, the for sale board went up today and our first viewer turned up 5 mins later[:D] he seemed impressed with the house and is being his kids round for their opinion on it.  He's a first time buyer too and we are going into rented accomodation once the house is sold so it doesn't hold anything up if the lake is what we are looking for.  Also Mr Raff's family are doing the same so we will have the cash readily available if its the right lake for us.  I will have to check out the rights for a caravan on the land when we move.  The land and lake we are interested in also has a big double garage so it may be possible to put it in there if we are not allowed to park it on the land. [/quote]

Thats sounds promising for a first day.!

Is the fishing lake you are keen on run as a business now ? ( I might have missed a bit)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The particular lake that we are waiting for pictures on we haven't seen yet no.  We are only going out to view it if from the pictures it is what we are looking for.  No this one isn't being run as a fishery at the moment as we want a lake to start from scratch with nobody elses's reputation following it (good or bad).  We are still checking out other lakes and are not pinning all our hopes on this particular one we are waiting for the photos of, although it would be ideal if it was the right one as it is in the right area for us in Normandy and is not too far from the port for the influx of English fishermen[:D] We are keeping an open mind and nothing is being ruled out at this stage of our search. Hope this clarifies things [:)]

Silly question from me, but, are there rules, or is that, there are rules, about who can fish where in France and getting permission to have a 'private' fishing lake.

The hunters and fishermen in France have lots of rights and you wouldn't want them 'just using' your lake if it is their right to do so.

Sorry if I am not explaining myself very well, but I'm going on recollections of hearing things in the past.

In case you have not found the answer elsewhere, I know someone who received incapacity benefit before they came to France, for a long duration illness.  She has continued to collect incapacity benefit in France for five years without any trouble whatsoever.  She even told me once that they people in Newcastle are really nice to deal with on the phone.  She is retired.

Oh, I see what you mean.

No, but we were a bit embarrassed until Claude (nephew) told us that it was people who had been 'unofficially' fishing that caused it.

Uncle keeps the lake for the amusement of himself and his pals, and I suspect there may be a little bit of drinking involved as well.

I must get round to asking if he will let me go and watch the birdies down there, but I can see why he wants to keep it private - I wish we had had the loot to buy a place with that kind of amenity.

I have never heard of those 'rules' mentioned...will have to check that one out.  Whoooooo, we sold our house today[:D][:D][:D] I thought it would take ages....seems the market is moving very fast, it wasn't even properly on the market, just a board outside cos we were still finishing some plastering in one of the rooms..amazing!! Very excited now[:D]

No their house hasn't sold yet[:(] Lots of viewings but no offers as yet. Hope it won't be too long before it sells though.  We are going into rented accomodation (for the 1st time in our lives!!) until the French side is sorted and then we will all move over together.

Another step closer, good luck with your venture you've got things go I'd hate to reach my old age going I only wished I'd done such and such most things can be sorted out with hard work and determination (and a very understanding other half or is the quarters in you case[;-)] I mean that purely in a business sense as when I re read it it sounded a bit suggestive!)

That's the first time I have read your thread Riff Raff and it is sooo exciting. I think you will eventually have enough material  for a book! I am waiting for further installments, and it's great that you are letting us know what's happening!

Thanks for your replies.  Do you know maybe I should start a diary of this from the very first conversation of moving to France to the actual thing.  Wouldn't that make great reading one day when we are all settled and have forgotten how hard it was from the begining.  I have just announced to my neighbours who asked us where we are moving to this morning.  They were so shocked but said yeah, go for it and good luck.  I thought that was really nice as I was expecting..you are mad!! Lol. Everyone I have spoken to agrees that France is a beautiful country (which we already know) and that if its peace and tranquility you are looking for, rural France is the place to be. I pray to god we get everything right and that it all works out for us because if we fail....we have a long way to fall!!! The reason I and Mrs Raff are so up for this is because we are married to fishermen and have also been fishing in France with them on a number of occasions.  I thoroughly enjoyed it even if I don't fish myself, but absolutely adore the countryside.  I can't wait to see the back of Southampton airport on my doorstep!!!!

well this is all very exciting and such a quick sale, lucky you.

"Everyone I have spoken to agrees that France is a beautiful country (which we already know) and that if its peace and tranquility you are looking for, rural France is the place to be. I pray to god we get everything right and that it all works out for us because if we fail....we have a long way to fall!!!"

I think I have read most of the pages on this posting but am not sure, are you making this lake into a business? Many of us on the forum remember the family on No Going Back who started a fishing lake in Brittany, they did well but I remember what a struggle it was at the outset and waiting for the permit etc. took a long time. So I guess you will need to budget for this sort of time lapse when there is no income coming in. However, I am sure you have thought of these things for yourselves.

Bon courage

We too saw 'no going back' regarding the fishing lake.  That was years ago now wasn't it?  We are expecting it to be hard and realisewe need alot of money behind us to support ourselves.  We are prepared to make do and go without and work extremely hard in the hope that ths will end up as a successful crusade for us.  We have roughly budgeted out what we need and the next stage rearding this will be to take it to a financial expert for advice as to whether we are being realistic, over generous or cutting ourselves short!! This venture is going to be a business yes.  I think it may be ideal if us wives and kids stay in the UK until all the details like permits, night fishing and all the other nitty gritty bits that are required are fully in place.  Then we can save money on feeding the families over here using our family allowance and whatever as when we go to France I know we will be loosing that income eventually.

Hi there riff & raff from someone who made the move nearly 4 years ago.

With more and more lakes opening each year, there are lots of hurdles for you to overcome but if you want to pm me I will be more than happy to help.

We have excellent accountants and now our French SARL (whose assets are our house,lake, lake & business is owned by our UK company... thus getting over the problems with inheritance laws.

Be lucky...

and buy lakes big enough to earn 2 families a living... (given that 26 weeks income will have to last a year!)

I reckon you need at least 14 acres of water... and a regular 10 anglers per week

[quote user="Sprogster"]

If I recall correctly from another forum where the owner of the 'no going back' fishing lake business is a member, the house, lake and business was put up for sale last year and the family are returning to the UK.  

[/quote]

That's a shame - it seemed to be working out OK.

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Sprogster"]

If I recall correctly from another forum where the owner of the 'no going back' fishing lake business is a member, the house, lake and business was put up for sale last year and the family are returning to the UK.  

[/quote]

That's a shame - it seemed to be working out OK.

[/quote]

I know why but cant go into details.. but all I can say is GET A GOOD ACCOUNTANT!!