2 Families on the move

Hi  RR.  I have seen lakes for sale in France with no planning permission to build.  If my memory serves me correctly they are quite reasonable too.  Would you not consider this and renting separately for the short term until you find the ideal plots on which to build.

You have your ideas to brainstorm about and keep you happy at the moment but with the pressures of starting a new business and all living under one roof the strain could bring a few cracks into a relationship.

I have holidayed with other families and although I am pretty laid back and can get on with most, in my experience most women don't live together that easily especially when a mish mash of children are involved.  It will be tough in the early days of the business, you know that.  You also know that children have an uncanny habit of "trouble making" and "finger pointing" if they feel they are not getting enough attention.

I think after a hard days work of untangling myself from the famous red tape, I would rather go home and relax with my own family rather than treading on eggshells waiting for a nuclear fallout.

Good luck to you all and I hope you get what you want.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are saying Katie is exactly true.  It is something us two women have been talking about this week in fact regarding a kitchen!!  The lake we are interested in and are waiting for pictures on actually has two chalets in the grounds, each has two bedrooms and a bathroom.  Not ideal I know which is why our faithful caravan is coming too.  We all want this venture so much that we are prepared to stick it our together until the time is right.  I don't think the men would consider renting.  No doubt Mr Riff will reply to you tonight[:)]

Hi Rif and Raf!

Some advice on buying your lake, we have just done exactly the same thing and had a 'clause suspensive' entered into the compromis (the compromis being an initial contract which commits the buyer and seller), our clause stated that we must obtain 'full' planning for a house of x size on the land around the lake or we could pull out, we found an architect and had plans drawn up to meet our spec and submitted them to the mairie.

I am happy to report that two months to the day of applying for the permit de constuire, planning permission, it arrived, all approved, what a releif, we will now complete the sale in 1 months time.    Our lake is not fishing business size only a couple of acres or so but the principles are the same.

We are going to live in a mobile home during the build and it it NOT a legal requirement to ask the mairie about this (as you can see if you search this has been discussed before on the forum), merely a polite and advisable thing to do.  Our maire has not appplied any time restriction.

Regards and good luck

Well it certainly is around here. You can't even put in a small caravan in the drive or garden without permission. And look at the regulations for smaller things, like a garden shed !

I think where the error occurs on what is or what is not allowed, is that in communes and lotissments etc, you will need certainly need permission but people living out  in the countryside, well many do it and a blind eye is turned, for the most part.

And there is a maire not a half-million km from Dick who actually gets very unpleasant indeed about British people putting caravans in their gardens to live in temporarily. That's not usual, most couldn't care less, but there are some other maires with just the same ideas.

[quote user="Newtothis"]

Hi Rif and Raf!

Some advice on buying your lake, we have just done exactly the same thing and had a 'clause suspensive' entered into the compromis (the compromis being an initial contract which commits the buyer and seller), our clause stated that we must obtain 'full' planning for a house of x size on the land around the lake or we could pull out, we found an architect and had plans drawn up to meet our spec and submitted them to the mairie.

I am happy to report that two months to the day of applying for the permit de constuire, planning permission, it arrived, all approved, what a releif, we will now complete the sale in 1 months time.    Our lake is not fishing business size only a couple of acres or so but the principles are the same.

We are going to live in a mobile home during the build and it it NOT a legal requirement to ask the mairie about this (as you can see if you search this has been discussed before on the forum), merely a polite and advisable thing to do.  Our maire has not appplied any time restriction.

Regards and good luck

[/quote]

http://www.mobilhomedoccasion.com/wps/wcm/connect/Mobilhomedoccasion/Accueil/L%c3%a9gislation/

The law it would appear has recently changed, however, it is a legal requirement, read the link I have posted. So it is nothing about politesse, it is about the Mairie saying yes or no, they have the choice.

Will we have the countryside scattered with building sites with vans parked along side. Ah the beautiful french country side, what a wonderful vision it is going to be.

Boy have the government got it wrong on this one.

AND what about caravans, couldn't see a mention of them. They are after all a registered road vehicule in France.

Is it a rite of passage to this forum to be told you know nothing by TeamedUp, if so I guess I'm in!! 

I will now go and write 100 times,

I must not listen to the Mairie and DDE for my town and then pass their apparently incorrect knowledge on to others

I must not listen to the Mairie and DDE for my town and then pass their apparently incorrect knowledge on to others

All joking aside, apologies I clearly fell into that trap of assuming someone in authority in France was telling me how it is for the whole of France not just in their little piece where they are king and what they say goes!

Never believe anything an official tells you unless you have seen some text to back it up or you have heard the same story from several sources. I don't know why it is, but so many fonctionnaires, if they don't know the answer or aren't sure, won't go and look it up, or ask somebody else, they will just say anything that comes into their minds. Whether it all comes down to the fact that the public are regarded as a nuisance and so must be got rid of as quickly as possible, or the official doesn't want to appear ignorant or lose face, I have no idea.

Of course, there are very helpful officials around too.

Before the whingers come out, it's not only France of course, you get the same thing in Britain, and it's very frustrating.

Even how to do something as simple as opening a bank account, which I would have thought would be an important part of the training for the bank's customer service desk staff, is beyond them: I have had three different versions about how to do/not to do it over the past ten days or so, and still have not even been able to hand over the forms for the account I want. No, I am not talking about Credit Agricole, this is a British bank (the one with the dark coloured equine trademark), and yes, I do have the right residential qualifications, that was the easy bit. And I remain perfectly calm and polite and smile at the staff - perhaps it would be more effective if I did treat them like monkeys.

I suppose the good thing is that if you can deal with the British numbskulls, the French awkwardness won't seem so much of a challenge.

Hi Will

I will bear that in mind, they were helpful and maybe they were just being nice, (yeah right)

Anywho on the dark equine represented bank, you should worry, I have been trying to transfer money from the UK to my french account.  I have done this many times over the last 4 years and so was not expecting trouble but  can you believe in modern day UK my branch has had no phone lines for 4 days, now how is that possible you ask.  It would seem that BT have cut them off somehow and now nothing works.  I had to chuck lots of toys from my pram before they called me via mobile (ooh the wonders of modern science) and now I have the money but it took 4 days and lots of shouting. 

They had my letter last week with the instructions (sames as all the other times I've done it) but decided I was not me, now luckily I was sure I was me (god knows what would have happened if I wasn't sure either)

Panda (trying to become Panda, not newtothis but computer says no when I try to edit my details)

[:D] There isn't a rite of passage.

And as Will says don't believe everything the Mairie tells you. There are elections shortly and the new Maire might not want such implantations in his or her commune and it will be their choice.

Ofcourse as Will also says, misinformation can happen anywhere, only in France it is always best to have written proof of anything and even then they can deny all knowledge and have the cheek to ask for the 'proof' one has back.

And the DDE told you this, lamentable, absolutely lamentable,  but it doesn't surprise me, they are supposedly a competant body, draw your own conclusions.

Blimey, you are lucky having a smiley from TU, I have never had one....[:(] seems I always upset her but without intention. good advice though!

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

I saw a house and carp business for sale and the photos look nice. I don't know if you've seen it or if it's the one you're thinking about getting. It is www.lacarparc.com (sorry you'll need to cut and paste the address as I still can't work out how to make it clicky). PS I have nothing to do with the people selling it I just came across it while searching for land.

Edit - made clicky for you.

Highlight the link then click on the ball & chain icon in the tool bar just above your post, a box comes up, if the link is in the box click on OK, if not you will have to copy and paste it in there (make sure you do not get the http part twice).That should do it. (There may be a quicker way, but thats what I do - I'm not technical)

Russethouse

[quote user="Spicy"]Sorry - OT - Russethouse maybe it's because I'm on a mac but I don't have a tool bar at all and no ball and chain when I highlight the link. I only have some smileys. Thanks for making it clicky. Spicy[/quote]

Spicy, don't you see this row of symbols (with the ball and chain symbol) when you open the 'reply' box?

If not then someone with a Mac will hopefully tell you how to do it

[quote user="Tresco"]

, don't you see this row of symbols (with the ball and chain symbol) when you open the 'reply' box?

[/quote]

Well thank you, Tresco, and Russethouse. All these years, and nobody had ever told me. Now I might know how to make links clicky too, hooray!

[quote user="Dago"]Blimey, you are lucky having a smiley from TU, I have never had one....[:(] seems I always upset her but without intention. good advice though!

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

[:D] there you go Dago, see what a little bit of cheek gets you, coquin [:)]

Hi thanks for the link, no I hadn't seen lake before.  The one we are hoping for is not on the market.  It is a friend of a friend who is selling it, who happened to mention that he was selling his lake and land the day after we had told the friend we were looking for a lake in France!!  We should have all the pictures by wednesday this week.  It is quite exciting here, the for sale board went up today and our first viewer turned up 5 mins later[:D] he seemed impressed with the house and is being his kids round for their opinion on it.  He's a first time buyer too and we are going into rented accomodation once the house is sold so it doesn't hold anything up if the lake is what we are looking for.  Also Mr Raff's family are doing the same so we will have the cash readily available if its the right lake for us.  I will have to check out the rights for a caravan on the land when we move.  The land and lake we are interested in also has a big double garage so it may be possible to put it in there if we are not allowed to park it on the land.