CONSUEL Inspection

fulcrum

Does anyone know how the CONSUEL inspection is carried out with regard to circuit testing. In the UK in order to test each circuit the phase and earth conductor are temporarily connected in series to check for correct resistance. Is the same method employed in France.

[quote user="fulcrum"]Does anyone know how the CONSUEL inspection is carried out with regard to circuit testing. In the UK in order to test each circuit the phase and earth conductor are temporarily connected in series to check for correct resistance. Is the same method employed in France.[/quote]

The CONSUEL inspector did the following

1. removed cover from box (in sous-sol)

tugged several wires to try and pull them free

checked tightness of a couple of screws holding wires

measured earth resistance

2. went outside to visibly check earth pole

3. checked earthing via a sound meter at each and every socket inside

4. in bathroom decided that one light was too close to shower

5. also failed us for not having cut-out switch on 1st floor (no internal stairs to s-sol)

Ensured that I understood that I was to rectify 4 and 5, complete the failure form and fax it in and he would then send me the acceptance attestation.

But this was in rural 46 in 2004 and things may be different elsewhere.

John

not

[quote user="fulcrum"]Does anyone know how the CONSUEL inspection is carried out with regard to circuit testing. In the UK in order to test each circuit the phase and earth conductor are temporarily connected in series to check for correct resistance. Is the same method employed in France.[/quote]

Since in the UK there is a 230 Volt potential between Live (Phase) and Earth, that must be fun! [:-))]

Should that be rephrased (or even re-phased![:D]) somewhat?

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Since in the UK there is a 230 Volt potential between Live (Phase) and Earth, that must be fun! [:-))]

Should that be rephrased (or even re-phased![:D]) somewhat?

[/quote]

Gluestick

Thanks for that. You are, of course, correct but then an electrician would understand that.

OK. Just for you. You will need to switch off the mains first, whether you are in France or not.  [;-)]

[quote]

Gluestick
Thanks for that. You are, of course, correct but then an electrician would understand that.

OK. Just for you. You will need to switch off the mains first, whether you are in France or not.  [;-)]

[/quote]

There are electricians and then again there are electricians, Fulcrum! [:D]

I've seen some amazing things done..............................

Thank you John and Gluestick.

I was curious because I thought it might explain why the French system requires equal thickness earth, neutral and phase wires for any given circuit. It would obviously make testing easier if it was done along the lines of the UK IEE method.

Our CONSUEL man glanced at the fuse box, stuck a meter in one socket in the lounge, said what a lovely house it was then signed the forms and gave us his e mail address so we could send him photos of said lovely house to show his wife, and in case we wanted any advice in the furture! So much for our panics over whether chases were the exact correct depth / distance from doors etc. Maybe he'd seen so many scary places he was just releived the sockets were actually attached to the walls!

filling in the form was the hardest thing for us.

suzi

www.patiras.com/trinite.htm

[quote user="suzi05"]

Our CONSUEL man glanced at the fuse box, stuck a meter in one socket in the lounge, said what a lovely house it was then signed the forms and gave us his e mail address so we could send him photos of said lovely house to show his wife, and in case we wanted any advice in the furture! So much for our panics over whether chases were the exact correct depth / distance from doors etc. Maybe he'd seen so many scary places he was just releived the sockets were actually attached to the walls!

filling in the form was the hardest thing for us.

suzi

www.patiras.com/trinite.htm

[/quote]

Suzi

That brought a smile to my face.