electric ambiguity

shimble

reading through my electic books ive come across something im not sure about:

I want to wire in a hotte(cooker ventilator) in the kitchen in one book i can wire this from my normal sockets and in another i need a dedicated line,aswell as this i am planning a vmc unit and ive also found reference that all ventilation should be wired to the same disjoncteur. So where does this leave me? Can i run the vmc and the hotte on the same dedicated line should, the hotte be own its own dedicated line and the vmc on its own dedicated line, or should the vmc have a dedicated line with the hotte on a normal socket line?

If anyone can clarify this for me i will be all ears for the information many thanks.....

[quote user="shimble"]

I want to wire in a hotte(cooker ventilator) in the kitchen in one book i can wire this from my normal sockets and in another i need a dedicated line,aswell as this i am planning a vmc unit and ive also found reference that all ventilation should be wired to the same disjoncteur. So where does this leave me? Can i run the vmc and the hotte on the same dedicated line should, the hotte be own its own dedicated line and the vmc on its own dedicated line, or should the vmc have a dedicated line with the hotte on a normal socket line?

If anyone can clarify this for me i will be all ears for the information many thanks.....

[/quote]

The VMC needs it's own breaker. I don't see why it should not share the hotte one, although I would do them seperately. In either case, neither can be wired to a power (or lighting) circuit.

thanks that makes sense and keeps it all neat and straightforward ish. got an apointment next week to see about training for house electrics 12 month course not sure if ill get accepted think a lot may depend on my level of frenchfinger crossed anyway to did you do anything like this or did you bring your trade from the uk?

[quote user="shimble"]

[/quote]

I have a vague idea that all your wiring has to be installed by a qualified electrician [or at least checked out by one], otherwise your house insurance isn't valid.

I'm sure someone will confirm or deny this!

Peter

I recently passed Consuel on my installation, the hotte was powered from the kitchen sockets disjoncteur as it came with a plug on the end.

The normes require the VMC to have its own disjoncteur which should be 2 ampere, this caused me some problems as I used a Nalto tableau and they don't make a 2 amp one and I found to my cost that different marks are not compatible with each other, the positioning of the holes for the borne d'alimentations are different or reversed.

If you do not need Consuel then I think what you are doing is sensible, the only proviso being that you may need a larger disjoncteur for the hotte which technically would be too large for the VMC.

2 amp disjoncteurs are also required for "asservissment" power, i.e the swiching of heures plein/creuse contactors.

[quote user="oliveau"]

I have a vague idea that all your wiring has to be installed by a qualified electrician [or at least checked out by one], otherwise your house insurance isn't valid.

I'm sure someone will confirm or deny this!

Peter

[/quote]

No so, I really don't know where you get this information from! I wish it were true (as an electrician) however, although I have made a few bucks out of people who have "tried it themselves".....

• 2 weeks later...
You may have confused 2 bits of information - in the UK it is now necessary to get any electrical work inspected. I believe this is not generally true in France but you do have to have any new installation inspected if you are going to rent the place out (you may have to have existing installtions inspected, not sure, I only came across the info in regards to a new installation)

Back to the Chinese Whispers and Olde Wive's Tales again! [;-)]

You need a Consuel inspection and subsequent certification for EDF to connect to a new build or (e.g.)barn conversion: or re-connect where the supply has been completely removed.

Additionally, you would need a full Consuel inspection and subsequent certification where EDF had supplied a temporary supply for building works and a re-wire was now completed and  full connection was necessary.

It may be, emphasise MAY be the case that insurance underwriters could refuse a claim for (e.g.) fire caused by any electrical installation which was not in good condition and accorded to the French  residential wiring regulations.

However, since the regs have changed over the past few years and since the majority of French houses were wired/re-wired years ago, this would mean that a majority of French houses were not compliant!

The only instance I have been able to find of lack of a consuel certificate (where substantial re-wiring; amendment/improvement/additions had taken place and were obvious), was a notaire calling for certification and a sale apparently falling through due to the lack of certification.

The vender, however, found another buyer!

If concerned about your own insurance then check with your underwriters.

Going on from there, as far as I can tell, the new regs in the UK allow self-installation of minor electrical functions and repairs/replacements.

However for all works to bathrooms, kitchens and outdoors facilities it becomes more cumbersome!

http://www.ribblevalley.gov.uk/downloads/Part_P_ODPM_Booklet.pdf

The above spells it out quite clearly!

A useful, sort of, primer to French electrical stuff may be found here. It is a primer though!

http://www.ashman.fr/