old floor boards and door stripping

whitey

[8-)]Hi, i'm just wrting for a little diy advice. we've uncovered old oak floor boards and finally stripped off all the plaster and paint, but, we have dips hollows and a few small holes in them, could anyone advise me of the best way to fill these in? i have had a suggestion of old saw dust mixed with some sort of glue that we can then sand and stain(we do want them to remain as "rustique" as possble.) does that sound like a sensible suggestion, if not, any other advise would be really helpful. we also want to get two large kitchen doors stripped of god know how many layers of paint......we've done two ourselves but they took ages, would like to know if there are any company's local to limoges/bellac that do door stripping? any suggestions again very welcome. thanks for any help. mel.

That's exactly what my dad would do. Just wood glue and saw dust.  You need to be sure to use the dust and not the shavings though.  I made that big mistake just last week.  Made a terrible mess!

I had my floors in Australia done by a professional and he used wood putty (paté a bois).  It never really looked right as the putty was always a slightly different colour and texture.

The sawdust and glue will be fine for small holes but don't expect it to be anywhere near as durable as the oak when used for filling depressions. You would be better off trying to level or smooth thes out with the floor sander.

I wouls also not recommend putting any glue on the floor before the sanding operation.

I saw this in a gite in the Dordogne last year, what they had used was wax.  I guess it was warmed and then flowed into the cracks and it seemed to have made a good job of filling in the holes. I think the boards would have to be stable so that the wax doesnt crack. Anyone else tried this, any tips?  I'm tempted to give it a go.

What type of wax, though?

Dordogne is hot: beeswax would easily melt.

Hardest wax is Carnuba, which is mega-expensive and even that melts - eventually -  as it's used in quality car polish. (Simoniz original, e.g.).

Thanks to all for the replies...........will try the sawdust and glue "THING" on a small part of the boards first but will probably steer away from the wax........could be a house of horrors!! (sorry bit of a horror movie fan). and thanks, have found the decapage companies in the pages jaunes as suggested.

have a good one!! mel.