cooker electrics

In the process of renewing the kitchen and doing the electrics at the same time question is how should my oven be fed both with circuit size and outlet type. It is an oven only single and at present time currently runs off of the socket circuit which is only 16 amp. I know this not to be correct but we only have a 6 kw supply seems a bit daft feeding it with 6mm and putting it on a 32 amp supply that will give no discrimination between cooker and main switch.Can it be on smaller cable as long as the fuse backing up is protecting it properly or are the rules the rules

If it is a French oven only, it should be OK to run off a 16A socket. Check the rating plate. We run our house offf a 6KW supply and it has all the modern appliances, and we manage to keep within the limit. (Elec oven, gas hob, dishwasher, washer, drier, elec kettle etc, just don't put the lot on together!)

[quote user="tj"]

Hi

You should ask EDF to upgrade you, free, to 45 amps/ 9kw, you willl need to do this anyway, if you wish to make use of double tarif ( cheap and normal rates).

[/quote]

Am I misunderstanding you? But, you can have a 6KW heures creuse supply.

[quote user="sniffyterrence"]In the process of renewing the kitchen and doing the electrics at the same time question is how should my oven be fed both with circuit size and outlet type. It is an oven only single and at present time currently runs off of the socket circuit which is only 16 amp. I know this not to be correct but we only have a 6 kw supply seems a bit daft feeding it with 6mm and putting it on a 32 amp supply that will give no discrimination between cooker and main switch.Can it be on smaller cable as long as the fuse backing up is protecting it properly or are the rules the rules[/quote]

You should have a dedicated supply to the cooker and it should be wired with 6mm cable. You can have a 20A supply for an oven, too, but again, it must be independent. Don't use a socket (unless the oven has a plug installed by the manufacturer), use a junction box.

You are correct Nick, we have a 6Kva supply and HC. Our new oven came with a 16 amp plug on it and just went straight into the 16 amp socket provided in the bacck of the hole the old one came out of. I was most surprised!!

• 3 weeks later...
We have a 6KW supply and routinely use the electric hot water tank, the heavy duty steam iron and the washing machine during the heures creuses (2 to 5pm or 2 to 7 am).

The cooker (UK bought) has an electric oven and is plugged into a dedicated socket leading to a 32A circuit breaker on the main electric board.

Apologies to the professionals if I have not used the correct technical terms in my description. Feel free to correct me [:)]

Yes that's right if you have the right circuit breaker which can receives the signal (contacteur heures creuses).

My washing machine (bought in France) has a delayed start facility which I program so it runs during the cheap period and when I do use the iron, I try to do it during the cheap period too.

Clair,

yes we do have something presume some sort of contactor that receives a signal at set times but i think it still only feeds the water tank because you cant  heat the water at any other time via an over ride switch. is there diferent types which allow you to use all electricity at low rate when in heures creuses time.

If you have the proper meter (compteur à heures creuses) and a contacteur heures creuses, the water is heated during the low rate period only unless you override the switch.

Mine has 3 positions: 1(=on), auto, 0(=off), so I can override the signal if I want the water heated outside the low rate period or not heated at all. As far as I know, these are used for hot water only and I don't know if you can use them for any other appliance???

All electricity used during the low rate period is at the lower price. The hot water contacteur is just a timer.

You can (use the contacteur for any purpose). You will find that you will save alot of money using one to run your washing machine, tumble drier or dishwasher.

Small point, the contacteur is just a relay - an electrically operated switch - the control signal comes from the meter (nowadays) and is controlled by EDF by sending signals down the electricity cables. You can have enough (for most needs) contacteurs on a single meter.