DOUBLE COLLAGE when laying floor tiles - what does he mean?

joidevie

My builder who layed my concrete screed has recommended using a 'double colle' method of laying 30x30cm ceramic floor tiles (otherwise they will all just come away).. What does he mean? Is it applying adhesive on both the tile and concrete surface?

I have some local Polish guys coming to lay them (who speak very poor French and no other languages) and I need to explain this to them!

Many thanks..

If you have just had the concret layed you need to seal it so that the adhesive sticks , We used PVA mixed with water and painted it all over in a good thick coat , then use the tile adhesive to stick to that .

Hope that helps ......................By the way my floor tiles have been down for 4 years and not one has come off yet .[:)]

[quote user="joidevie"]My builder who layed my concrete screed has recommended using a 'double colle' method of laying 30x30cm ceramic floor tiles (otherwise they will all just come away).. What does he mean? Is it applying adhesive on both the tile and concrete surface?

I have some local Polish guys coming to lay them (who speak very poor French and no other languages) and I need to explain this to them!

Many thanks..
[/quote]

AFAIIA, they lay a thin layer of tile cement, which is allowed to dry. The tiles then go on top of this. As I understand it, the tile cement may take forever to dry if done too thick - hence the 2 layers. (Although cement-based tile adhesives dry by chemical reaction, not by air).

Can't you ask the builder to explain? And don't your Polish guys speak Polish?

My understanding is that for larger floor tiles you use the normal "combed" application on the floor plus a smooth coat on th back of the tile. You may find it explained on the adhesive sack.

You also need to look at the instructions with the tiles-not all are made of the same materials-also different adhesives will be used dependent on the use the room will be put to.

AFAIK   PVA = resine latex     Brico depot do it for about 20 E

As for the tiling have a look at this website   www.weberbuildingsolutions.co.uk  and in French  http://www.weber-broutin.fr

They give tech specs for all their products inc fixing recommendations. I used the method Nick described once when the floor was not too even and I couldn't find a levelling compound, the tiles are still ok after more than 5 years.

However, I think the french site gives the method your builder suggested 

procéder à un double encollage sur la totalité de l'envers des carreaux pour les formats supérieurs à :
- 500 cm² (absorption d'eau ≤ 0,5%) ou 1 100 cm² (absorption d'eau > 0,5%) en sols intérieurs
- 120 cm² (absorption d'eau ≤ 0,5%) ou 500 cm² (absorption d'eau > 0,5%) en murs intérieurs
- systématiquement en sols et murs extérieurs

for floor tiles more than 500 cm² the entire back of the tiles should be combed with adhesive as well as the floor.

polish workers huh makes  me wonder if they are registered artisans if theyre not and you get a visit from the inspection de  travail that will be fun some of us pay our social charges here theyre quite high probably to cover those illegalworkers. a registered artisan should know how to lay a floor tile and what products to use you get what you pay for i suppose

[quote user="joidevie"]My builder who layed my concrete screed has recommended using a 'double colle' method of laying 30x30cm ceramic floor tiles (otherwise they will all just come away).. What does he mean? Is it applying adhesive on both the tile and concrete surface?

Many thanks..
[/quote]

If you need to explain how to do the job to them, what kind of work are you expecting ? what do you think the end result might be?  Doesn't sound promising to me. A professional carreleur will know how to lay tiles without them coming away. If you want a professional job, use a skilled and registered artisan. Simple. The artisan has to guarantee the quality of his or her work so if there is a problem afterwards it will be rectified. If you don't use registered workers, you will, quite rightly, have no guarantee of anything. I have to agree with shimble.

I am not a professional tiler but I do know what "double collage" is and why it is used but, sorry, I don't want to encourage you. I hope I have not misunderstood the situation but as I watch the cotisations waving goodbye from my bank account, I do feel miffed that people use non registered workers. They are cheap for a reason.

Danny