Pushfit copper fittings

expat paul

Hi,
I must move a central heating radiator along a wall a little, the existing copper pipework is embedded in the concrete floor and in the wall and behind beams etc, really easy to get at Evil or Very Mad .
The feed pipe I have no problems with, I can cut the pipe and solder on an extension piece, however the return, I can see, touch, and cut using a small barrel cutter I think ! The problem is fixing the extension, there is no room for spanners for compression fitting, no chance of getting a flame to it, so I'm thinking of pushfit copper fitting. Anybody used them alot or have good / bad experiences of using them.
This is the last resort before I do some major demolition........ help !!!

Ive used these in the UK and found them OK but quite pricey.

They work in the same way as the plastic ones but without the bulkiness so they look better if they are in view.

Not used them a lot, only in similar situations to yours but no problems.

Just one point, make sure that the pipe is not distorted at all or I found they wont seal properley.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks Ron that was my first thought but I have recently found the fittings in Brico-depot and its for central heating system which runs at 1 bar so pressure not a problem. Its the reliability I'm interested in, its in such a pig of a place I would have no way of knowing of a leak til it was far too late.

Have you used these fittings before in UK ?

Not a long term reliability test, but I used a couple on pipes I needed to cap until I know what I am going to do with them. Fitted in May and no leaks so far! They were bought from M. Brocolage I think, 14mm and are on mains pressure hot and cold water pipes.

I have used them on a bath and shower with a 3 bar booster pump and no problem with that. However, make sure there are no burrs on the pipework. Normally OK if cut with a pipe cutter and the 'blade' forces the wall in. If cut with a hacksaw etc make sure it is clean otherwise the rubber seal can be damaged. The removal tool, although a little fiddly works.

Hi,

Just wasn't quick enough to post earlier and now it's after the fact, but possibly a hint for others going the same way :

you need to allow 3 or 4 mms in the pipework for the fitting to move in

order that it seals itself properly.  Not a problem when you are

working from one end to another; you just fit the pipe into the fitting

and give it a pull - but in a repair or a tight working space area

(like with a rigid tail still attached to a rad valve say) it's

possible to reassemble the pipe work and not realise then when the

water is turned on again, if there isn't the couple of mm's spare for

the pipe to move, it shoots water all over the floor.

Been there: done that !

p