What Digger?

Deauville

I think the answer to this one will be the same as the answer to 'how long is a piece of string' but here goes : how long should it take one man (me, inexperienced but with sound mechanical nouse) to dig a pool hole (8x4) in medium soft earth using a 2.5t mini-pelle? I can't find anywhere on t'net that enables me to calculate digging capacity/time

hi

ok . on your own .....a long time .... It`s not the digging that's easy it`s getting rid of the soil after . Lets talk a few figures 8m X 4m X 1.3 m deep ( same as the proverbial  fosse sand filter) that's 42m3 or 72 tonnes ,because of the site I had to load it into the trailer for the digger cart it to the top of the garden unload the trailer level of etc..etc took me 8 days with my own 1.8 tonner .If at the time I had say loaded into a waggon and had it trucked away or say a dumper with someone else driving it you could do it easy in a day , day and a half max.

Also are you good enough to get it flat first go .If you have say a hump in the middle that wants just an inch scraping of it ..the digger will not reach it when it finished .so it`s get out the pick and shovel , hit rock like I did with the tank and it`s 2 days on the kango.

bonne chance

Dave

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/holeforfilter.jpg[/IMG]

hi

again ok just for info have a look here a local farmer took down our barn this week , he arrived wed at 3.30 pm( plus all his family ) worked until 8 pm

next day 8 am start long lunch (as norm) but finished at 4 pm . Them A frames are 6.6 mtrs long just to give you an idea of the size of it , they took away 9 trailer loads of rock left me the good tiles and all the wood ,for a cost of €1350 . He even asked me could he buy the door from the back ( made of tin sheeting ) I gave it him .AND I have just sold the A frames for €400.

all them little free jobs I have done for the locals just paid me back 10 fold

the moral ask a local first

a Brit wanted €6000

I could not do it myself for that price

Dave

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/barn%20demolition/

Thanks Dave, I don't know whether I'm encouraged or put off! All the spoil is staying on-site to raise and level the area immediately surrounding the pool. The pool itself is about 30m/s (curved sides) and it will be semi-enterée so I'm only going down about 750cm - I reckon 2 days should crack it, what do you think?

It all depends on how quickly you learn to operate it.   These things need quite a lot of coordination of hand controls.   An experienced operator should manage that in a day easily enough but even then it all depends on how quickly he works.

You will have to pay a fair amount for transporting it and I would have thought that a local with a JCB he is used to would probably be cheaper anyway, as they can run on the road.   I used to hire out such things, but a long time ago now, so I don't know current costings.

In my day these mini kubotas were considered a toy, but that was nearly 30 years ago, so I guess they are much improved now.   The only advantage really is if the 360° swing allows you to place the spoil where you want it without having to move the machine.

hi

ok just for info again ..couple of people round here have had pools put in ( plastic insert jobbies) the going rate seems to be for dig out and level €400 .just wondering how much for a 2.5 mini pel for 2 days plus hastle

Dave