120mm flue

billyo

Hi all

Ive been offered a 8kw poele that takes 50cm buches but only has a 120mm sortie for the flue. My questions are, is that big enough for the amount of wood you can put in the thing, and if so where can you get that size of flue from as the standard seems to be 130mm and up. The current owner doent seem to know....

Cheers

Billyo

Not sure about the specifics, but the basics are that a wood burning stove is only as good as its flue, the diameter of which is also dependent on length.  If the flue does not create a draft - a vacuum - the stove will just bellow smoke out from whatever orifice it can.  If the flue is too big, it will never get warm and again there will be insufficient draft causing the stove to smoke in the house during warm up - most undesirable !

So, assuming the stove designers knew what there were doing - is it a good make? - I wouldn't worry too much.  The key is to get an adaptor to suit the stove and the required diameter of flue - dependent on length.  There's lots of info on the site re wood burning stoves, they seem to occupy many for days on end following the acquisition of a French house  !

If the stove is just for decor and a supplement to the general house heating then OK, but, if you plan to use the stove as a main source of heat, I would seriously recommend you look at buying new as they are fare more fuel efficient and that is very important these days.

Aoccording to my Heating Engineer chum, the most critical bit is to raise the temp of the flu to normal working ASAP: and keep it there.

I have to work this all out shortly, as I am going to install a new Inox flexible tube in the main chimney for our woodburner. I am not at all happy that it's riht at the present, in terms of flu diameter etc.