Hammerite

tom

Need to cover some newly fitted railings,which have that new 'rusty' wrought iron aspect. I know I can get Hammerite from my local brico, but do I need do anything apart from a gentle 'rub down' before I apply it ?

What do we think about finish, Mat Satine or Brilliant ?

If it is only surface rust I would paint directly on the rust. If there are any flaky bits, remove those. I didnt buy the hammerite brush cleaner/thinners, better to buy cheap brushes and throw them away. There is alo a problem of where to dispose of the used thinners.

Happy painting

Chris

I recently used some gloss Hammerite. I removed all rust and old finish (Nitromors) and wire brushed the surface, but didn't prime it (this was a plane body, not something outside). You have to remember with Hammerite that if you apply the paint and then 'work' it every mark you make will remain, so the idea is to get it on in one hit with no overbrushing. Worked very well, but I threw the brush away afterwards!

Russethouse

I used to use chassis black for that exact purpose, it was far cheaper and better than hammerite etc. Bye the way to be pedantic you must use a minimum of 2 coats of any hammered finish to get full protection because as the paint dries into the hammered finish voids appear like the presence of silicone in the paint so the second caot will cover most but not all of them.

Once I started travelling to France I discovered tractor paint which was far better still and roughly the same price as chassis black but with a good range of colours.