Deeds from Notaire - How long ?

How long does it typically take for the Notaire to provide a copy of the deeds for your house ?

We completed at the end of January and have not heard anything since.

We don't actually need them for anything specific but if 4 months is atypical then maybe it's time to make a polite enquiry.........

There is no set timescale it's up to the Notaire, once he's paid everyone then thats it, but you nearly always have to ask for the paperwork, which of course are not the deeds to the property, but just the certified copy of the papers you signed on the day of purchase plus a few other related documents, "Copie Authentique".

We hadn't received our paperwork after 4 months. After querying with the notaire it transpired that she had sent everything, including a cheque for almost 400 euros, to our old address in the UK where, of course, we no longer lived.  Luckily, the new owners of the UK house returned everthing to the notaire (they could easily have binned it).  So Ernie it might be wise  to check with the notaire just to make sure everything is in order.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Sound like you're saying 6 months is some sort of norm, is it written anywhere ?[/quote]

No it's not but if you know any other Brits that used the same notaire you might ask them. Round here it's around six months alhough I have heard of people waiting for up to a year but thats very rare.

Our Notaire seemed to work on the principal of  " Come and get them "  he sat on them for ages ...over 6 months ...expecting me to call in to collect....I had to request that he send them  by post to the UK ......he did along with a fat cheque which put a smile on my face as it all cost less than he estimated .

We completed our sale at the beginning of November, at which the notaire said he wouldn't post the paperwork as he didn't trust the UK post![;-)] So I collected them from his office on my next visit which was the beginning of March, we had in the meantime received in the post a cheque for the balance of the fees[8-)]!

Sorry, it's not a record. We waited a litle longer. Also went and got the package. And we are in the business so might have expected things to be processed rather more quickly for us...

Notaires are not known for their speed though there are exceptions. They have to wait for the French equivalent to the Land Registry to do its stuff, then they can do the final accounts and send the buyer's copy of the Acte with the small cheque for excess payments. But by the time the fonctionnaires have done their stuff the notaire has probably forgotten all about the transaction.