Insulated stove pipes in France??

Kens11550

I'm installing a wood burning stove in my home but am surprised at the lack of materials for the DIY' er.  I don't have access to Leroy Merlin or Castorama, but from what I see at the numerous Brico sheds in my area (Tridom, Weldom, Mr Bricolage), they all stock the same thing: standard, single wall stove pipe in varying finishes and diameters.  I can't find the double or triple-walled stuff for the attic.  Am I missing something or does everyone just run standard stove pipe from the stove, through the ceilings and into the roof capping it off with a simple sheet-metal roof piece?

The stove is a zero clearance model and mounts directly against the wall.  It's got a pretty involed system of baffles and heat shields for the stove and the stove pipe before it enters the ceiling (single plasterboard panel, then the attic) so I'm not worried about heat issues here; it's the attic that concerns me.  Can I just run the normal stove pipe up into the attic then wrap it in that fire wool insulation where it passes through the wood?  I'm limited by 30cm between the roof beams.  I've looked for the pre-fab sheet metal chimminey or flue boxes but no one carries anything like that.  Just stove pipe and roof caps!  I'm trying to avoid having to build up a brick chimmeny with a liner if at all possible.  Just want something safe and simple.  Also, do they make flexible tubing for stove pipe for a 10cm offset between the two sections?  It took me several days to find what I have now and I didn't see an abundance of elbows and angle peices out there....

Someone who's in a similar situation care to comment?

Many thanks...

I've asked only to be referred to the same selection I just saw.  I think that because our winters are relatively mild down here, supplies for wood heating are noty as plentiful as they are up north. 

I'll clarify; anybody in the Languedoc with a similar situation?

If you're installing a new flue I'm pretty sure that there are regulations about distances from combustible materials, ie joists, beams and so on, 16cms I believe. You may have to run the metal flue up into a chimney constructed from concrete blocks, specifically for this purpose, in the loft space. It would be best to speak to a 'chauffagiste'. There's something about the height of the chimney above the apex of the roof too. Have you tried Googling for this info? "construire cheminee" for example?

Sid 

hi

OK first you can get  "double-walled stuff" in any brico`s  mr brioclage do you just have to order it , it`s not cheep though , 2 years ago it was if I remember over €120 a mtr and yes you can get flexy bends and adaptors any size to any size but like i said not cheep though.

the route i went down in the end was to use boisseau blocks  you can get them in 2 sizes 20/20 or 25/25    concrete or in terracotta these are about €10 each 3 to a mtr so a lot less than inox tube .

Dick is right about the distance `s  you must have min 150mm from the inside of the chimney to any thing combustible so you will have to cut out a joist and brace it and do the same with the roof chevrons .just shutter the gap and fill with concrete for both floor and roof this will save you buying a flashing kit for the roof ..

just 2 more things a good log burner is only as good as the flue . you must keep the chimney as warm as possible I went 1 stage further and lagged  it this stopped condensation in it and causes more draw on the fire have a look see here first http://www.backwoodsman-stoves.co.uk/index.html

2nd if a pro fits boisseau blocks as a flue he must fit a liner as well , his insurance will not cover him unless he does this, but diy ing is ok .

I have some pics on the pc some where of how I did mine if you want I will route them out and post em

oh and I worked for the above firm for 2 years  a long long time ago  though

dave

yes and the chimney must be 1.2mtrs above the ridge line

Not a great deal of help to the original post as nowhere near Carcasonne, but I found a supplier who has a wide range of insulated flue in stock. He is a great bloke who spent a long time getting what I wanted (well into his lunchtime!!!). But this was near Limoges, a company called CAL in Couzeix. I hope this will help those in the region at least.

Thanks Dave.  That makes sense that you would have to custom order them.  Although I wonder why the brico sheds don't err on the side of caution and display some of the double walled INOX so people aren't tempted to do something drastic? So what I'm gathering is that a 'proper' stove installation isn't going to have 1.2m of INOX poking through the roof with the Chinese hat (that's the French term, not mine...) on top?

I'd love to see some photos of your install.  This forum has so much information on wood burners that I think some photos would be great.  It gets hard to visualize the finished project sometimes without the visual cue.  Is there a way in which members can post project photos somewhere?  I think this would be a great help...

Ken

Weldoms will order in the size you need plus elbows, but get your measurements right. They wont take it back as it comes direct from the manufacturer (who is based near La rochelle).

We have single skin going up the interior sitting room stone wall from the woodburner, then double skin stainless steel going out through the wall and up with a chapeau on top. Cost just over 1000 euros (and looks very industrial!).

Thanks for the feedback, people.  Funny that I'm at Weldom just about everyday but of course I didn't think to ask anyone...  Oh well, too much time and money invested in what I've done so far that I'll just safely continue what I'm doing.

Am I correct in assuming that the main purpose of the double walled tubing/chimney liners is to keep the flue/chimney

ny warm thus increasing the efficieancy of the stove?  I realize the saftey concerns (mine is passing through a single sheet of plasterboard on metal rails then into the attic--no wood within  16cm).  The roof is is in OK condition but I wouldnt want to build a brick chimney on it.

Update:  it seems I was a little early on my project; as of today, Weldom and Tridome now stock just about everything I was looking for including the double walled stuff at €140/meter!!  Frustrating to say the least but I guess everything retail has a season...

hi

OK Am I correct in assuming that the main purpose of the double walled tubing/chimney liners is to keep the flue/chimney
 warm thus increasing the efficiency of the stove
?

yes

(mine is passing through a single sheet of plasterboard on metal rails then into the attic--no wood within  16cm). 

I cannot see how you can get say a 150mm pipe through the floor joists /roof chevrons which are probably set at 300mm-400mm centers and still leave the 150-160mm gap ,without taking one out and bracing it ??

just asking

Dave 

As for the roof chevrons, that's my next challenge.  There are in fact at 400mm which doesn't leave me enough room.  What's the easiest way to remove one and brace it?  Can I cut a piece out then brace it with heavy metal brackets on each side or is there another method?  Or do I take out a section and just brace it 20 or 30cm over?  Can I just cross my fingers and wrap the area with that 'firewool' insulation??

conduit isolé is what they call the double-walled tubing and I believe a chimney liner is called a conduit de cheminée...  And if you want to be the only one on the block with the neat rotator turbine (aspirotor) on your chimney, that's only going to cost €275-325.....

I am going through the same set of issues. You may find this document useful:

http://www.poujoulat.fr/poujoulat/fr/guide_dtu/dtu_2006_lr.pdf

Poujoulat is the manufacturer supplying Castorama, and as you will see supplies a broad range of products to meet most requirements. The website is awful however (which is why I provided this link directly). If you cant find what you want at a Casto or local brico - normally out of stock in my experience, I suggest calling Poujoulat directly and asking for details of a retailer carrying what you are looking for.

Good luck

Nick

Am I correct in assuming that the main purpose of the double walled tubing/chimney liners is to keep the flue/chimney warm thus increasing the efficiency of the stove ?

The other more important reason  for the twin wall insulated flue liners is that by keeping the gases warm they do not condense on the sides of the pipe causing residue and tar build up -and therefore less cleaning!

It is of course not always possible to use these products ( they are quite large and bulky ) in existing chimneys when a  flexible liner has to be used.

Paul