British homeowner JAILED over use of Clandestine workers

Happyaslarry

In respect of "Cowboy Builders". I can confirm that I personally have received reliable news from a Gendarme friend of mine, that an English homeowner has just been heavily fined AND forced to serve 6 months in nick, for having had a complete restoration done on his holiday home, apparently by a combination of British and Eastern European workers - all for cash - "Oh dear".

Result, the job not finished (and what's been done, done bad), the homeowner in addition was also obliged to """get ready for it"""", obliged to pay the illegal workers 3 months advance pay - as compensation!!!! :roll: "Don't ask me.

And 6 months prison to boot...As for his future plans in France!!!! :cry:

C'est la vie...

HappyasLarry, could you say in which area this happened?

Along the same lines, there was a case in the Lot last year (?) about a building firm run by two Brits who had done a lot of work for a few other Brits without ever being registered. They were given a HUGE fine and received a suspended sentence, if I remember well...

We know personally someone (english) who worked unregistered as a builder here in the Gers for 15 years then was reported and investigated and the case proved.  He was allowed to go through the process of becoming "legal" plus, I think, needs to repay cotisations etc. He's still working. None of his customers was charged as far as I know. HappyasLarry I think there's more to your case than meets the eye.

When we were doing our Stage de Gestion at the CdeM back long ago there were several folks there who were being made to go legal though having been working without registration and paying their dues,they were not imprisoned for doing so. I think prison is the last resort whereby someone has fiddled thousands and thousands of euros from the state and/or either beeninvolved in a serious work related accident or has employed clandestine labour from abroad. The prisons here are also overflowing and I cannot see someone who has fiddled a few years URSSAF cotisatons being jailed without good reason. Earlier this week a meat factory near Loudéac in Brittany was raided by the gendarmes and URSSAF officials and they found about nine non registered workers including two illegals who were taken back to the border and told to b****r off back to Poland or wherever they came from. The factory owners are the ones facing court now and stiff fines.  Definately more to this story than is being reported on here and other forums with the same exact wording.