driving from Calais to Perpignan

i hope this helps you ............  http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?client=public&lang=&rn=EU&input_rt=aproute_pan&startcountry=FR&startrd=&starttown=calais&startpc=&endcountry=FR&endrd=&endtown=&endpc=86330&qs=q&starttime=01%3A14    the roads are very good and i find it a lot quicker than going down to paris and across ......... please note i had to use the 86330 postcode as it will try and send you via paris if you enter a 17 postcode ,which of course you dont want . from here you will pick up the motorway for noirt and saintes and then i presume your normal route south . i may be wrong on this and i hope i am corrected if wrong but i have tried both routes many times .....the head towards paris then on to new orleans ( as i call it ) then off over to your direction is slow going

Turn south at Calais down to Rouen,go round the Rouen ringroad to the Paris autoroute,drive a few miles on this towards Paris ,then get on the A154(Chartres,Dreux,Orleans),this becomes the N154 and if you follow the signs to Orleans will get you on the Autoroute to Clermont-Ferrand and the South. 

Personally, if you can avoid rush-hour, we have always found going via Paris very straightforward. The motorways are well-signposted and you can expect to be the other side of the capital in an hour. We go down the A1and when we hit the outskirts of Paris follow the signs for Bordeaux and Nantes. When you get south of Paris you need to have a list of cities to head for viz Orleans, Vierzon, Chateauroux, Limoges, Brive and eventually Toulouse. When you hit Toulouse you need to follow signs for Carcassonne and Toulouse. At Narbonne turn right. I'm sure you will have seem signs for Perpignan by then. I tried the other route suggested and found it slow by comparison; you pay greatly for the lack of fast roads around Dreux and Chartres. It is possible to go via Clermont-Ferrand and if you choose this route you'll  go over the Millau viaduct.

I'm on my way to Carcassone this Saturday from Boulogne.

Route A16 to A28 )Rouen) then Le Man and A28 still to Tours. A10 to Poitiers E62 to Limoges.

Then A20 to Toulouse the A62/A61 to Carcassone. After which we turn off but just follow the Autoroute through to A9 and turn off right to Perpignan. A synopsis of our route.

Hope that helps. I have a complete route typed up for us for my wife to follow (Ha Ha). I can e-mail same to you if you want but make it quick as I wont have access to a computor after Friday night.

David

"Or invest in satellite navigation (money very well spent) and just do what you are told"

We used satnav for the first time coming down here this year.

The M25 was closed between two of its junctions and we had to divert. Completely unfamiliar with the road we drew into a service station and bought a road atlas ( no we hadn't got one with us - we'd got satnav) We started off on the route that looked best on the map and the satnav spat out the CD and then refused to read it again.

We had bought a disc for France but it wouldn't read that either when we got to Boulogne. We were thankful that we've done the trip so many times that we are very familiar with the route and, of course, we had a French road atlas.

Satnavs are wonderful when they're working properly. I won't trust one completely ever again.

Hoddy

We have used the RAC route finder to be excellent (it gives you the distances of each stage in miles and km) when we went from Boulogne to Vendee and then from Vendee to Aurillac. The route was brilliant when we had to go round Poitiers and Limoges.

You could also try the Michellin route finder. If you going from Rouen-Le mans make sure you have eniough gas as the service stations are quite far apart!

[quote user="jc"]Turn south at Calais down to Rouen,go round the Rouen ringroad to the Paris autoroute,drive a few miles on this towards Paris ,then get on the A154(Chartres,Dreux,Orleans),this becomes the N154 and if you follow the signs to Orleans will get you on the Autoroute to Clermont-Ferrand and the South. [/quote]

Hi nannyb, I'll second jc's suggested route - we live in Castelnaudary (about an hour short of Perpignan on the autoroute) and have always used this route successfully and it's reasonably stress-free [:D].   Bonne chance!

PS  it usually takes us approx 10 hours for the journey, including a couple of short comfort breaks/lunch en route