Which fencing?

Mark

I'd like to put up some wire fencing within, and probably also encircling, the garden of a house I recently bought.  The 'garden' includes woodland, so I can make fenceposts myself from what's lying around, but when I went browsing for wire to go between the posts I was surprised at the cost.  Admittedly I've only looked in one of the brico sheds so far, but I think they were charging a minimum of 1.50 euros a metre, which, if I were to put two lines of the stuff between each post as intended, would really mount up!

I'll visit my local agricole cooperative tomorrow to see if they're cheaper, but meanwhile could someone tell me whether that brico shed price sounds expensive, and if so what the cheapest product would be to buy?  Is barbed wire cheap?  That would do for the land boundary, but wouldn't look too welcoming within the grounds!

Thanks all! [:)] 

The green, and white, is the stuff that I use too. It can cost up to about 12€ for 100 metric thingies, but not 1.50/meter. Sounds like it's gold coated. Most of the bricos sell the stuff and as do the garden centers around here. If the ground is hard or loads of roots I use the steel uprights too. As long as you aren't using 2 meter fencing it's not too dear and a lot easier. Invest in a pair of the pliers that clip the fencing staples to fix the fence to the horizontal wires too. Makes for a very easy job...

[quote user="Jonzjob"] Invest in a pair of the pliers that clip the fencing staples to fix the fence to the horizontal wires too. Makes for a very easy job...[/quote]

Ah now that's an interesting point John, as I was intending to use a staple gun to fix the wire to the posts, as I've used one for similar jobs in the past.  Unconventional, but seems to work.  If it goes wrong and I end up with staples for hands, I'll take your advice.  Serendipitously, the hospital is opposite the DIY store. [+o(]

the pliers are special type that feeds a stronger staple into the jaws and bends it round the wire and fencing. Dead easy and much stronger than the average staple too... Having re-read your post, the pliers are used to attach the fencing to the horizontal tentioned wires that go between the posts. I used ordinary staples to fix thetension wires to the trees down one side of our garden, but still used the pliers and fence staples to fix the fence to the wires.

Mark,  don't wish to sound a know it all, but there's alot more to fencing then banging a few posts in - that's assuming you can bang them in in the first place !  For what purpose is the fence,  is it just to mark your territory or do you require it to be dog proof and is that a Jack Russell or a Alastion ??  Pig fencing is very different to  Horse fencing etc etc and then there's the bloody gates !   Lots of questions you need to ask yourself and if you want  the  finished job to look the part then you need to do alot of research, maybe ask a few contrators for quotes as a starter ??

Mark I don't know if you have a "Pole Vert" near you (franchise farm supplies chain) near you but their pub' this week has a special offer on stock fencing (grillage mouton) this month.  30 euros for 50 meters.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/img8593115.gif[/IMG]

Just to join in with this subject, we're gonna need to fence in a large(ish) - no measurements yet - garden to make it dog proof. We have both ends of the doggie scale, a JR cross and a German Shepherd - and it's the JR thats the escape artist!

I've noticed that most houses in the area ( Hesdin) use a green wire fencing. Is this easy to install for a complete novice?

Richard

I'm a fencing contractor in the UK and I think the green fencing you,re referring to is chain link.The most important thing with any wire type fencing is your straining posts.Get these in well with good struts and you will have no probs with a nice secure fence.Chain link by the way ,is probably the most secure for different size dogs although stock net if put up the right way round would probably do it aswell.

Over here is a welded mesh, sheep type, fencing that is green too. Very good and not too expensive. With the best will in the world chain link is NOT pretty, but this stuff is OK. All the way from 60cm to about 2 meters high. You string the tensionswire, as many as needed between matching posts, drilled to take the wires, and staple the fence to it. Very quick, secure and good... Never saw it in the U.K.

Most, if not all the sheds/bricos sell it...

Edit :- I forgot to say, but you don't have to thread the tension wires through the posts, you use the holes with smaller bits of wire to secure the tension wires to the posts. It's easy to bend, but very strong (bit like me I suppose [blink]?)

Sorry, I'd have to disagree with the chain link comments,if done properly will look fine and last for ages.When you say staple the fence do you mean clip the fence,all the staples I,ve seen are for knocking into things.Another little tip is if using single strand wire,tension it with the winders on the end posts,then lean quite heavily on the wire,you''ll be surprised how much it stretches,then restrain the wire,this will stop it stretching later. This wont work with high tensile or multi core wires as they are pre-tensioned.Also don't use anything green plastic coated where stock are involved for obvious reasons.