Why you shouldn't rely on using extensions / adapters long term...

mmaddock

Only discovered after getting round to adding new sockets so I didn't have to use the adapter....

[IMG]http://www.lefouanglais.co.uk/extension.JPG[/IMG]

Not like it was even a cheap one - it was a Legrand.  Had to be prised apart with a screwdriver.

Lucky I think...although fortunately I'm a smoke detector freak and there was one close by should the worst have happened.

Beware!

Matt

[quote user="Logan"]The problem could lie in either a faulty appliance or as a result of a power surge. The adapter may not be the fault.[/quote]

That is long-term damage - no "power surge" could cause that, I'm afraid. An appliance (a bigish one, judging by the mains lead - washing machine?) fault would show up in a different way (like blowing the trip/fuse).

Those tacky UK-Fr adaptors are even worse!

Looks like the standard prob, high contact point resistance. High Resistance = High Heat! = Bang! Eventually!

In my experience French multi-plus adapters are useless junk. OK for 60 watt lights perhaps, but useless for any reasonable load as the prongs don't fit properly inside the tubes, which in any case are only part-tubes and the fit where they touch: if ones lucky.

Yes Nick, had one of those (Eng/Fr adapters) blow out last month: and it was new!

I agree that adapters are a bad idea. However I have had to replace one computer and have my current machine's power unit replaced because of power surges. This despite having protective devices on the mains plug. It blew up the other day in a cloud of acrid smoke. Often the mains suddenly trips for a few seconds and the surge afterwards often seems to blow things. Just something you have to put up with if you live in a relatively remote location.

For rural areas of France (or indeed, anywhere else with similar problems!) always use a UPS (Uninteruptible Power Supply).

These also "Condition" the mains, stabilising peaks and troughs in the supply voltage, filter out all sorts of "Noise" and interference, provide super-protectioon against lightning strikes as well as operating the equipment in times of total power outage.

Additionally, mine (AN APC manufacture) provides a software-driven facility called "Power Shute",  which un-boots a PC, automatically and allows Windows to turn off with no loss of data.

Prices have really dropped since I bought mine.

The latest models also provide a fully protected circuit for 'phone lines, faxes and in fact any PSTN terminal equipment.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=CS06630

Just to point out that there is a world of difference between a UPS and a power spike protector.  I have never got around to getting a UPS (I probably should though) I use a protector with a Power Shute, this means I can turn on/off all the peripherals (eg monitor , printer) in one go when the PC hibernates thus saving lec trickery/money/planet in one go [:D]

[quote user="Logan"] Just something you have to put up with if you live in a relatively remote location.

[/quote]

No you don't - buy a UPS as Gluestick says. We have 2 (both APC) covering 3 computers, phone lines etc and regularly hear them clicking as the voltage goes up and down.

Edit - sorry, had not seen yr latest post Logan

John

and

Hi ICENI

The French plug and socket posted at the start of this post is the reason I wanted to change them to the English type, in 40 years I have never had this happen over here, the more I read the posts on this forum the more worried I am about French electrics, people say they have had computers and televisions blow up, others say there are no earth wires on socket is mind boggling.

ColinE

Problem is, Colin, you can have precisely the same problem with UK 13Amp adapters, with a Christmas Tree of appliances, all separately rated at above the adapter's maximum current carrying capacity!

Also cheap sockets, plugs and adapters all suffer from the identical problem of high contact point resistance; at best they will continually blow fueses.]At worst they melt!

French plugs and sockets, if correctly installed and of reliable manufacture will perform very effectively; in the event that a problem develops, then one or both of the fuses will blow or the MCB trip out.

BTW, French wiring MUST mandatorily be earthed, right the way through. Indeed, the current Norm is rigorous on matters like bathrooms and kitchens.

The reality is if you use either French or British sockets/plugs but the underlying wiring is not to standard or incorrectly installed, then you got problems!

And then again, you can have a perfectly correct installation, first quality sockets and plugs: and then someone plugs in a 2,500 Watt heater: to an adapter designed only to carry a maximum load of 5 amps: and then plugs the vacuum cleaner in to the other side...................

[blink]

Are you suggesting I should cut off a new sealed and fused UK plug from an appliance then replace the sealed plug on my computer to accommodate the incoming/internal UK socket on the unit. I don't think so. I shall buy a French one me thinks. Why are folks so sarcastic on this forum these days?

I think Steve was aiming that comment at Colin, Logan.

I have never ever known Steve to be sarcastic, but I fear Colin is trying a few people's patience by his obdurate insistance on championing UK sockets and plugs to be used in France!

Anyway, back to your problem.

In fact, all IT kit conforms, pretty universally to the IEC standard for power leads.

The main power lead is like this for the UK: i.e. mains to PC. a UPS lead is identical.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX003R.html

The lead from the UPS to the PC is like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX083R.html

Both conforming to IEC specs.

In your case you would simply use a French PC lead from the mains to the UPSD: the UPS to PC lead would be as normal.

Yours would be like this:

http://www.mobilephonecrazy.com/modeldetail/Power-Leads,mains_cable_to_IEC_plug.htm

If you are buying a new UPS, personally, I would go with the APC range; more expensive but better in my view.

Also, consider buying more capacity than you actually need: can never have too much grunt! The greater capacity, the more stuff you can run, in case of power outage! Fax machines, cordless 'phones whatever is mission-critical.

[quote user="Logan"]Are you suggesting I should cut off a new sealed and fused UK plug from an appliance then replace the sealed plug on my computer to accommodate the incoming/internal UK socket on the unit. I don't think so. I shall buy a French one me thinks. Why are folks so sarcastic on this forum these days?[/quote]

Thanks for that nice comment Gluestick.[:)]

Logan, you could quite easily buy the French male to IEC female lead as gluestick posted, you could equally cut off the "new sealed and fused UKplug" from the end of your existing IEC lead. Its redundant, and can be wired into a French plug. Its obviously only the mains interface point that requires a change of plug.

To reiterate, I cannot see any point in not changing UK plugged appliances to French plugs, be it computer power leads, electric kettles or whatever, unless appliances are regularly being transported back and forth between France and UK. Adaptors (back to topic) are a very short term, temporary stop gap and should never be considered as a permanent feature. They are dangerous and open to abuse by unaware people.

Gluestick said "If you are buying a new UPS, personally, I would go with the APC range; more expensive but better in my view"

Agree totally, sometimes in this world you get what you pay for and IMHO an APC UPS is one of those times.

John

and

I second all the comments on the non desirability of adaptors, over the years I have seen several plug/socket junctions cook and it is not limited to adaptors, I have seen MK UK 3 pin sockets charred and also Legrand French ones but in the main it has been the sous marques.

As a lot of my power tools I also use back in the UK as a consequence I have been using adaptors for a few years albeit with regular inspection, I must have been lucky with mine which I bought cheaply from CPC as they certainly dont look up to the job but the one on my 3hp compressor which is used regularly and often all day long has not heated yet same for the one on the arc welder which is more intermittently used.

I would not feel happy using one on an electric fire or a washing machine which dont forget usually has the plug/socket joint hidden away.

As no-one is likely to be taking their washing machine backwards and forwards across the channel there really is no excuse for using an adaptor.

However, what is one of the first appliances that a family having newly moved home and countries wants to press into use? - Perhaps before finding where to buy the french plugs (not an easy task), speaking the language or knowing how to wire up this strange thing with no polarity markings?

I bet in fact that there are many forgotten time bomb adaptors languishing behing washing machines, think about it, if in doubt pull out your machine, you know it makes sense.

Cor! [blink] You're adventurous Mr Ewing!

3HP single phase motor requires 10-16 amps. ON an adapter? [Www]

When you strike the arc on your stick welder I simply dread to think what the initial surge current is! [6]

When the re-wire reaches the workshop, I'm running a big dedicated feed and then the largest power plug I can find! For my arc welder, but to be fair it's big!

Either of my MIGS dims the lights in the UK and I already have a 30 Amp supply, here!

Cor![:D]

[quote user="J.R."]

I second all the comments on the non desirability of adaptors, over the years I have seen several plug/socket junctions cook and it is not limited to adaptors, I have seen MK UK 3 pin sockets charred

I too have had at least one UK plug and socket melt, in fact it was smoking very well which is how I noticed it. No doubt when (if) it melted to a short then the mcb would have tripped. The damage before then could be severe. It only had one appliance (fan heater) plugged in so it wasn't an overload, just high resistance contact heating.

However, what is one of the first appliances that a family having newly moved home and countries wants to press into use? - Perhaps before finding where to buy the french plugs (not an easy task), speaking the language or knowing how to wire up this strange thing with no polarity markings?

[/quote]

I imagine the first appliance is the kettle, it is / was in our case. I dispute that is difficult to find French plugs, virtually every major supermarket sells them. You dont need language skills either for supermarket shopping. Wiring up - yes good point.

You are right Powderesal but when one first arrives everything is difficult to find and understand.

Gluestick

I used the compressor all day yesterday powering an air chisel reclaiming bricks - still on the adaptor, it wasnt even warm, as I said I have been lucky.

In fact there is more than enough contact area on French plugs/sockets and adaptors, far more in fact than there is on the fuseholder of an UK 13 amp plug, the problem is always when the contact is not firm, i.e. wide or non existant manufacturing tolerances.