best places to sell our B&B ?

Where do you think are the best places to advertise our B&B? We are with French estate agents but they are only advertising as a family home, it seems a shame not to promote as a business as we are so in demand on the GR65 (compostelle route)

In May alone we had over a hundred people stay with us so for walkers to lose this place would be awful. So what do you suggest.?

many thanks

www.chemindecompostelle.com/maisonlacabanne

Was your home a Band B when you bought it? If so who did you buy from? and why is the estate agent not advertising your sale as a B and B, If this is what you want it advertised as , then surely you only have to say so!

Seeing that you are on such a popular walkers route then you obviously advertise yourself to the walkers for your business......then surely you should be using the same medium to sell it[I]

Seeing that you are on such a popular walkers route then you obviously advertise yourself to the walkers for your business......then surely you should be using the same medium to sell itIdea [I]

Yes we have done as you suggest, we have said on our website that we are for sale

[quote user="lacabanne"]

but I dont know where to start

[/quote]

Oh but I think you do [;-)]  Joining a French forum to mention this wonderfully nay exceptionally  busy B and B and providing a link to the same, possibly does for free what your agents are apparently reluctatant to do.[:P][:D]

and of course you can use more than one agent, [:$]

No I am only teasing (smileys should give that away)

Really, why not use another agent and have the one advertise it as a B and B and another as a family home. Also take out your own advert with some one like green-acres. com ( never used them so can't vouch for them) or even a small advert in UK walking magazines http://www.countrywalking.co.uk/ for example.

[quote user="lacabanne"]

No, it wasn't a B&B when we bought it, the agents are fully aware that we are a business but they insist that it would be better to sell it as a family home [/quote]

Being in a feeling-kind-to-estate-agents-week mood I think perhaps they say this because your rooms are not en-suite. Whilst walkers are just glad to rest their weary feet after a long trek and, being jolly people, care not about this lack of ensuite, other B&Bers might not be so inclined. 

Just a thought - could be wrong.

Sue

The agents may be advertising your house without the B&B attachment to avoid any problem with the Commercial Tax payable when you sell a BUSINESS. This has been discussed a few times, although without a definative answer. We were told by our local Notaire that if we wanted to avoid the 26% tax on the part of our house used for B&B,we would have to stop trading for a full tax year. He may be just being pedantic as it seems that Notaires often interpret the rules to suit themselves. Perhaps they get a rising scale of commission on the amount of tax they rake in? We have noticed a  HOTEL with 12 en-suite rooms,always run as a  hotel for the last 18years to our knowledge, being advertised as a house,possible use as a B&B.

Should that be AN Hotel?

Regards.  and still doing B&B!!

Being unkind - selling a business is a different business to simply selling a house - how many other business properties have the agents got on their books ? 

If  the business is showing decent profits it must be worth more selling it as a going concern. Even if it only has 30 bookings for next season it is worth something as goodwill.  I would either advertise in the English language press or find an agent who had some experience of B & Bs.  Anybody who wants to run a B & B would in my opinion be much better off buying a property and business that is already up and running that trying to convert and licence from scratch. At least they would have some income from day one. 

Your prices are so low for the lovely accomodation you offer and the meals too are very much below what I have seen advertised elsewhere! I should think you must run on full all the time and as such are bound to make a profit comparable or more than other establishments who charge more and are not always full.

Being curious but why are you selling up? Are you going back to the UK for a quieter life?

Thanks for your kind words, yes, our prices are low but as you say, PROFIT!!!!! we are always full during end of march to begining of November and thats just how I like it! its actualy quite easy, we have different guests every day so I just cook the same thing every day pretty much, they arrive around 5pm , shower, eat, bed by 9pm (they are knackerd after a full days walking) brekky at 7am, gone by 8am, so we have the days to ourselves, bliss! we also make sure we have 2 nights a week off.

As for why we are selling, we have bought some land 50k south of here and are going to build an eco house in wood and do the whole B&B thing again, its a great life!!