Antique wood burner

sunny

Hello,

We just bought a ~100 year old wood burner oin a village sale for 50 euros.  Earlier we thought we would clean it up and convert into an umbrella rack or something.  But I am reconsidering - I like the looks of it and there isn't much rust.  Now I think I would like to use it as a woodburner in one of the upstairs rooms, as the room gets really cold.  Not sure if there are any health hazards with using the older wood burners.  Also, the insert for keeping the wood is really small...could we use pellets instead?

Any advice/ thoughts would be very welcome...

We have a small wood-burner upstairs with a small aperture and we burn compressed sawdust 'bricks' in it.............You buy them in wraps of around 12 from places like Point Vert and they burn well......................one advantage is that they are easy and clean to carry upstairs as they are shrink-wrapped.

Chris

This is interesting, as my wife bought a "Bourguignonne" range, a very tiny, very old thing, with space for water heating, a small brass tap etc on it.

She wanted it to add a bit of heat and some "character" to the kitchen.

When it was delivered, it still had briquettes of like "Coalite" inside it.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  The sawdust bricks sound like they might work best (and are ecofriendly, right...?).  Roughly how long does a brick burn for - how many would you use if you had the stove on for ~4 hours?

Also, did you get a  prof. to install your old stove and make a chimney flue etc, or did you vent it out of the wall.  Any idea of costs?  While I love the idea of reusing the old stove, I am reluctant to spend many thousands just to make best use of a ~50 euro buy...

Thanks,

BP

"Also, did you get a  prof. to install your old stove and make a chimney flue etc, or did you vent it out of the wall.  Any idea of costs?  While I love the idea of reusing the old stove, I am reluctant to spend many thousands just to make best use of a ~50 euro buy..."

Yes we did, the exercise was not cheap but worth every penny not only for peace of mind.

BTW be aware that you will probably have to pay t.v.a. at 19,6% as they will not be installing a newly purchased modern stove.

[quote user="BP"]

Thanks everyone for your replies.  The sawdust bricks sound like they might work best (and are ecofriendly, right...?).  Roughly how long does a brick burn for - how many would you use if you had the stove on for ~4 hours?

[/quote]

Largely depends upon whether you just want a warm glow or full on heat....................half a dozen would probably last about 4 hours in a small stove giving off a 'glow'

We, too, had ours fitted professionally.

Chris