Wiring a new light switch

vanessa

Right, I bought a new light switch as the one here was actually an old sock in the wall padding the gap to hold a broken but working live switch.

The new one looks different to the old one so I do not know which holes to put the wire in. There are just the 2 blue wires going through old switch.  The new one has 2 banks of 3 holes each side at back of switch. one bank has screws to hold wires, the other bank of 3 does not have holding screws.

On the rear of switch are markings: Screw side: X1, L1, X3.

The unscrew holes are marked X4, L2, X2.

I do not really want to take the thing to bits in case funny bits fall out. I am good at taking things apart, but not so clever putting them back, (but am finding a new way of beating that system with my dig camera. Photo is first then I have a picture of how to put it back again).Therefore, when you press the switch, I have no way of knowing where the contact breaker is.

If there are now screws on one side it would seem that you should only use the 3 holes that do have screws.

So it is just a matter of which hole to put one piece of wire and which for the other. Funny to have 3 holes with no screws though.

Please don't tell me to get a professional in because I just cannot do that every time something needs doing. Just kindly tell me if it matters which holes I use.

Just an old lady but am already installing double sockets in place of single bare wires, so I know I can manage it. If only someone will tell me how.

ALSO

Light fittings: for the life of me, I do not see how one of their light hooks can serve to balance and hold fancy lampshades on the ceiling. Are you supposed to get chain and attach it all to say 3 points of lampshade. Think I prefer to install uk roses.

As to wall lights, there are wires sticking out of 2 holes in the wall. I would not expect the wires to take the weight of wall lamps and shades. Those hooks again? I don't know.

Thanks to all in anticipation.xx

The unscrew holes are thre so that the manufacturer can use the same plastic moulding for a double light switch. You can ignore them.

If you only have two wires then one wire must go to L1 and the other can go to X1 or X3.

The other connector is there so the switch will also operate as a two way (va & vente) light switch. If the light switch was at one end of a corridor there may be a second switch at the other end. In this case there would be three wires leading to the light switch. If you are very lucky two will be the same colour such as purple and the other will be say red. In which case the purples would go to X1 and X3 and the red to L1. If not they will all be one colour, and you connect one wire to each hole with the power off, turn on see if you have got it right,  turn off, swop one wire to  L1 and repeat, before normaly getting it right on the third  attempt when you finally conect the third wire to L1.

The current Norme Francais for light fittings is a round box which you screw of pinch the connecting wires in place. The box can be securly mounted with bars which brace on the plaster board or longer screws into the floor above. There is then a mini plug which you can wire the light fitting to on the comfort of a table. Will post a link below. You normally find that the DIY Sheds do not have the mini pligs but the hypermarkets do.

Edit for link to ceiling box :

Naturally I cannot find an on line link showing the plug but the box below is what should be used for a new installation in the celiling.

LES BOÎTES D'ENCASTREMENT: http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idLSPub=1062771099&1062754119.idnode=1062768555&1062754119.

link shortened by a mod

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

The unscrew holes are thre so that the manufacturer can use the same plastic moulding for a double light switch. You can ignore them.

If you only have two wires then one wire must go to L1 and the other can go to X1 or X3.

The other connector is there so the switch will also operate as a two way (va & vente) light switch. If the light switch was at one end of a corridor there may be a second switch at the other end. In this case there would be three wires leading to the light switch. If you are very lucky two will be the same colour such as purple and the other will be say red. In which case the purples would go to X1 and X3 and the red to L1. If not they will all be one colour, and you connect one wire to each hole with the power off, turn on see if you have got it right,  turn off, swop one wire to  L1 and repeat, before normaly getting it right on the third  attempt when you finally conect the third wire to L1.

The current Norme Francais for light fittings is a round box which you screw of pinch the connecting wires in place. The box can be securly mounted with bars which brace on the plaster board or longer screws into the floor above. There is then a mini plug which you can wire the light fitting to on the comfort of a table. Will post a link below. You normally find that the DIY Sheds do not have the mini pligs but the hypermarkets do.

Edit for link to ceiling box :

Naturally I cannot find an on line link showing the plug but the box below is what should be used for a new installation in the celiling.

LES BOÎTES D'ENCASTREMENT: http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idLSPub=1062771099&1062754119.idnode=1062768555&1062754119.

link shortened by a mod[/quote]

Anyone get the feeling it's cold Chez Anton and that he seems to be typing with his gloves on ?[:D]

Actually with only two wires in the wall you can't do much wrong. If you wire it up and it won't turn on, then move ONE of the wires to the terminal you haven't tried yet and all should be well.

p

I'd put one wire to L1, and the other to X1. If the light switch works but is upside down, either turn it the right way, or try one of the wires in X3.

I've invested in a cheap multimeter from Screwfix. It's invaluable for finding live wires without making all your hair stand on end,[;-)], and for finding which pair of terminals to use in switches so as to get the switch the right way up.

One of the jobs I keep meaning to do is to get ALL the switches in my house, the ones I DIDN'T fit, to work so that they are on when pressed in at the bottom!

Sorry - normally type in Word then spell check but ADSL point is in new office/ forth bedroom which needs:

Plasterboard finishing and coving installing, and either the Central Heating expanding or reversible Air Conditioning installing.

Expletive deleted water filter for Frigo American thawed last night about 5:45. Had carefully mounted it in the garage to avoid having ugly cylinder in kitchen. Fortunately spotted it and had fitted a stop valve (as I have learned to call them to avoid the profanity filter)  

[:D][quote user="Anton Redman"]

Sorry - normally type in Word then spell check but ADSL point is in new office/ forth bedroom which needs:

Plasterboard finishing and coving installing, and either the Central Heating expanding or reversible Air Conditioning installing.

Expletive deleted water filter for Frigo American thawed last night about 5:45. Had carefully mounted it in the garage to avoid having ugly cylinder in kitchen. Fortunately spotted it and had fitted a stop valve (as I have learned to call them to avoid the profanity filter)  

[/quote]

Ah, you're probably refering to a 'stop-cocque'  [:D]

p