Oiling / treating IKEA worktops

joidevie

I've recently put in some Ikea 'Varde" freestanding kitchen units. They have very light colour (beech) worktops which have been lightly treated. They are however picking up stains & dirt easily..

I've had poor experiences in the past with their oak worktops using their 'oil' to treat, and aslo mediocre results with a branded 'worktop treatment' from B&Q.

Thus far, my best results were from plain linseed oil on some raw Habitat beech surfaces..

Before I go ahead with this, I thought I'd see if anyone had any amazing ideas. I don't want to go the varnish laquer route unless I can retain the wood 'feel'..

Many thanks!

Excellent Lucinda! Although unless you're careful with the surfaces, olive oil easily marks BUT is easily repaired.

This is a butchers block (should've cleaned it before taking piccy!) built from end grain Beech & the surface has been soaked in olive oil several times, I was sceptical using olive oil at first but using it on end grain surfaces is just fine.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSCN0933.jpg[/IMG]

By the way; it doesn't fit into what I have in mind for my new house so it's going if anyone's interested PM me, I think it's Victorian in good condition and has an Oak cupboard with Elm doors....and is very heavy!

What about Danish oil. It's food safe when dry and once again easy to 'repair' if it gets marked and almost certainly more hard wearing than olive oil. Also, I was under the impression the olive oil would go rancid after a while exposed to the air and light?

If you want to go down the veg oil route, I have used sunflower oil on things like babies rattles that I make and that works very well and is completely edible (if they had the teeth to do so?)!!

'Huile plan de travail' is working well on our beech and oak worktops, available at leroy-merlin and other good sheds. Its safe for food use and gives a mat finish when dry unlike some "oils" (tung and danish) which seem to contain a varnish component and dry satin. Apply 1st coat with a brush, leave to dry light sand with 400 paper and then wipe over with a cloth and oil, note there is a risk of spontaneous combustion and so the cloth should be disposed of safely, repeat the oiling (third coat) after about 3 weeks and then as and when required. Linseed oil is ok but smells like an old cricket changing room and yellows in time as for food safety; any vegetable oil will sour in time.

I have used the Ikea 'oil' on my wood worktops and when I started I wasn't that happy as things still kept marking it, however after I have used it several times now I am pleased with the result and really doesn't seem to show much dirt or stains. Wood is always going to show some character though, but isn't that it's appeal?

Hope this helps,

Aquitaine Furniture