well pump problem.

chirpy

I n my cave I have a 30 year old 3 phase moter connected to a pump to draw well water .

It has been given  an overhall of bronze spindle/shaft  about 5 years ago as it was leaking water excessively. 

On this spindle /shaft going from the moter to the pump is a 5cm approx.piece of metal with leather inserts which I believe is to give balance to the shaft.T he leather bits move out due to centrifugal force when pum is running.

Is this a correct assumtion?Now the leather loops have snapped and I need to repair as although it works I assume damge could occur-is this possible?

The supplier states to bring the whole piece of equipment to him as I guess the alignment has to be good.However access to rear of pump is very difficult . Would it be ok just to take in the moter which is easily accessible and I assume will separate from the pump when I loosen the nut next to the pump through which the shaft goes.This nut is used to allow some water flow on this shaft to give lubrication.

thanks to you budding engineers.

Going on what you say......

It is unlikely to be a balancing device It is much more likely, I think, to be a a flexible connector between the motor shaft and the pump shaft.

It sounds as if it is breaking up and it will definitely need repair or replacement.

bj

Or it could be a centrifugal clutch to absorb start up load, either way, if you remove the motor one half of the coupling/clutch should come with it which should enable you to see more clearly what the problem is.

Until then it will be difficult to advise you further.

cheminot

This sounds to be a leather mechanical "gland" seal on the pump shaft-a well proven marine usage.Itis also good practice to have a slight seepage to allow shaft lubrication.In the past ,these leathers were soaked in "neepsfoot"oil before fitting to give more flexibility.dont know where you might get replacements due to age.Would think that a total replacement pump would be a cheaper bet-try the local Brico,s or the travelling tools sales cammions around.Maude

The 'nut next to the pump' you refer to I assume surrounds the pump shaft. If so, then it is the gland nut which retains the pump seal or packing. undoing it will not allow the shaft to come out of the pump. The pump shaft will be attached to an impellor inside the pump and can only be removed by dismantling the pump. The 'piece of metal with leather inserts' you refer to should be in two parts, one fitted to the pump shaft the other to the motor shaft. If you undo the motor from its mountings it should pull apart at this coupling. Be sure to mark the shaft and coupling before you take them apart to ensure they go back exactly the same way and retain any shims or spacers in their places.

I cant say any more without knowing more about the installation, can you post some photos of it perhaps?

cheminot