septic tank

londoneye

hi all

We have just made a lovely discovery in the end of our stable (due for renovation at some point).     We have found what is clearly an old septic tank.   Its quite full !   It is not a fosse with an outlet or anything like that (we have a new fosse ourselves).

Question is, what can we do/not do with it?   We have no idea how large it is but OH rather bravely started poking (I exited at this point) a stick down the tank and it seems quite large.    

I suppose we have two options - get someone to empty it and then fill it with rubble etc (sound good or bad ?)

or

Can we just put a concrete slab over the top and then concrete over the slab (worse or better ?!!!)

Any thoughts welcome.

if it is quite full I wouldnt peronally want to hide it under a stone flag if I intended to renovate at some point, I would ask one of the local farmers to empty it and then fill it in........

I have no technical information regarding septic tanks and this is my personal thought [:)]

I think the days of local farmers emptying fosses is now over in most communes due to the local purge by SPANC on pollution control-trying to undo years of non interest.I believe that heffty fines are threatened if they are not emptied by the "experts".The last time I had mine emptied 3 years ago it cost about 180 euros including the disposaland treatment and that was for 2cu.m.After emptying fill with rubble /sand etc but again local commune controls seem to rule the roost! Maude

Oh dear - but I do think I know a local farmer who will probably do it .... it hasn't been used for two years (not sure whether that makes a difference!).     

I hadn't thought of it as being seasonal, but yes, hmmmmmm - something nasty in the woodpile springs to mind, rather than something miraculous in the stable.

Can't believe we haven't looked under that  bit of chipboard for two years - never mind, probably would have been even more horrible if we had looked earlier!