Moving to Lot et garonne

Hi everyone,

We are considering put a bid on a country property near an area called Foulayronnes which is about 5kms from Agen. One negative aspect of the property is the fact that there is a car breakers yard less then 1 km away from the property. The immediate area is beautiful but it would be necessary for us to pass by this unsitely place when taking country walks etc. We are also concerned that the presence of this business so near to the property we are considering might negatively impact the value of the property in the future.

If anyone has any comments on this and on the general Foulayronnes and Agen area we would greatly appreciate any input, advise or opinions!!

Thanks!

Den

Den, I might be weird, but I like breakers yards. Both from rummaging for parts for older cars plus, I rather like the look of the cars stacked (ok I am weird).

I would have thought that if it is 1km away it should not affect your actual property unless the recovery vehicles actually pass by.

As for being part of a walk it must be only a small part of the walk.

Paul

Hi John and Paul,

Unfortunately, it is not the 'prettiest' of yards...just tons of spare parts and old trucks and wrecks so not the neatest of places!

The 'if in doubt, don't' philosophy does apply!!!

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!

Den

there are many areas  of 47 which are nicer that this part - it is close to Agen which is driving up prices within the local french market - therefore compared to other areas you are paying a premium for somethging which may not apply to you - being able to work in the town of Agen which is the regional capital if you will.

i would suggest a bit further north

near or around Villeneuve or even further north toward bergerac

had 5 yrs here and its great !

Presumably if it's going to affect the property's value in the future, then it's affecting it now. If this means that the proximity of the yard is reflected in the price of this property, it should mean that you're getting more for your money here than elsewhere. If this isn't the case then I would question the purchase but if you're getting a super house for a very good price then it could be worthwhile going ahead with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies...it is a great forum!

We decided not to go with the property....factoring in the potential noise, potential resale value etc etc. At the moment are considering another area maybe.....any thoughts on the Ardeche? We have never been to this area and are planning a visit soon to check it out. (we know Lot et Garonne very well which is why we started looking there!)

Anyway thanks to you all again for taking the trouble to help!

Regards, Den[:)]