Electric underfloor heating

Rose (& Greyman)

Does anyone have any experience of fitting Electric underfloor heating particularly in 24 ? We are upgrading the ground floor of our sous-sol with limited head height and this seems the best option. I'm not a fan of wet CH heating systems or lining the pockets of the sheikhs so electric seems a good solution, and we not a hot-house family so I'd rather pay a little extra for a neat solution. Any experiences would be useful. Thanks

Hi Twinks... actually Greyman is infact my OH.  I told him he should log on as I get lots of good advice... he said no at first (he uses the other side!!!) but I've convinced him to have a good browse today as we're about to start work on our house.  And what is his first post... Underfloor Heating... even thought I did that one for him a few months ago!  [Www]

Ah well... maybe he'll learn a bit more!  Just as long as it's finished before next winter!!! [:D]

Yes we did thanks -  our first in France.  You too I hope [:)] Only problem is we've had so many late nights I'm struggling to get to bed early now... and it's school on Monday and I'm not looking forward to the 07:30 alarm - and I've promised out little boy that we'll walk to school!  [8-)]

Sorry Greyman... didn't mean to hijack your first thread!

I will try to keep on topic!

As I was installing my underground electric flooring [;-)] (Hi Tresco!) I was thinking to myself how difficult it is to get to sleep before 3 am these days 'cos' of the festive concerts I have been performing and that - 'Thank God'  for the brilliant DVDs that my gorgeous family sent me for Christmas to help me get through the long winter nights after I have finished renovating my house[:-))]

[quote user="greyman"]Does anyone have any experience of fitting Electric underfloor heating particularly in 24 ? We are upgrading the ground floor of our sous-sol with limited head height and this seems the best option. I'm not a fan of wet CH heating systems or lining the pockets of the sheikhs so electric seems a good solution, and we not a hot-house family so I'd rather pay a little extra for a neat solution. Any experiences would be useful. Thanks[/quote]

Just make sure that EDF will supply enough power before you spend the time and money on installing. We have just 6kw and that's all we are getting.

John

not

Fitting it is quite easy. It comes either in mats where the cable is pre spaced for you, or just loose cable. The latter is better for awkward shaped rooms. Some mats are self adhesive, cable normally fixed down with gaffer tape or similar, or you could use a glue gun. Do not lay under large fixed things like cupboards or toilet pans and, if you are going to put under a timber or laminate floor, check with the flooring manufacturer to see if they are compatible. Some will warp due to the heat. Also consider fitting insulation to conserve the heat and keep the bills down, though it will give you a small step at adjacent rooms. Hope this helps.