What EDF Tariff?

ChrisintheNoir

Hello all, I'm hoping you can help.

Having now completed the renovations on my property I have realised that the power supply I'm currently receiving from EDF is not going to be sufficient for my needs and was hoping that someone would be able to give me some idea of what may be the best level to move up to e.g 9kva, 12kva

The property consists of 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and open plan living space of 10m x 5m for the kitchen and living area. Perhaps naively I am totally electricity dependant other than a wood burner in the living room so the water is electrically heated along with the following:

Cooker and hob

Kettle

Microwave

4 electric heaters at 2kw

8 light fittings

I realise that the above does not provide all the details for a very accurate estimate and I may also need the capacity to add the odd lamp etc but I was hoping that it would provide enough information for someone to provide reasonable advice.

Thanks in advance.

As Pierre ZFP says make a list of ALL the electrical goodies you have and then visit your local EDF office and they will then run them through a computer simulation program which will tell them what supply rating you need.

At the same time you can then decide what type of payments you want to make i e on an as used basis or 12 monthly payments. The simulation will also give you an estimate of your likely annual electricity cost although, like all utility companies, this will tend to be on the high side.

Edit. that quick fingered Maude beat me to it again.[:-))]

[quote user="Benjamin"]A

At the same time you can then decide what type of payments you want to make i e on an as used basis or 12 monthly payments. T[:-))]

[/quote]

Mine are 10 months payments, with 2 months 'leeway'.

If I haven't paid enough they take the remainder over the last 2 months.

If I have paid too much I get a rebate.

In any case the last two months are different.

[quote user="ChrisintheNoir"]

Hello all, I'm hoping you can help.

Having now completed the renovations on my property I have realised that the power supply I'm currently receiving from EDF is not going to be sufficient for my needs and was hoping that someone would be able to give me some idea of what may be the best level to move up to e.g 9kva, 12kva

The property consists of 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and open plan living space of 10m x 5m for the kitchen and living area. Perhaps naively I am totally electricity dependant other than a wood burner in the living room so the water is electrically heated along with the following:

Cooker and hob

Kettle

Microwave

4 electric heaters at 2kw

8 light fittings

I realise that the above does not provide all the details for a very accurate estimate and I may also need the capacity to add the odd lamp etc but I was hoping that it would provide enough information for someone to provide reasonable advice.

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Crikey Chris, no wonder you are in the noir,

If you switch that lot on all at the same time you might need a supply of:

oven  say         2kW

hobs  maybe     10kW !!

kettle                 2kW

microwave         800W

heaters              8kW

let's say, around 20kW....

but if you kept an eye on the load you might keep to say 12kW

If you considering moving up to 9kW (9kva) then maybe you are still on a 3Kw supply from EDF  ???  you can check by looking at your bill to see what the max load is.

You need to ask EDF whether they can uprate your supply (may not necessarily mean any physical changes to your existing supply, just reprog. the meter).

For a supply sufficient to carry your entire installed load, you might need to ask for 18kW supply and then you might have problems with the capacity of the existing EDF network, depending upon your local physical supply - might need 3 phase.

Best bet is to get rid of your electric hobs and get gas hobs if you really have a problem.

BTW; did an electrician do the work or yourself?  have you still got a provisional supply and has the installation been certified.....if not problems with changes to the connection.

Hopefully in the noir, not on the noir !