Fire proof tile cement/glue

retread

Over Christmas I realised that the cuisiniere was able to run hotter than we have used it before thanks to some help from my visitors. I had already installed <<plaquerie contre feu>> (Fire resistant Plasterboard) behind it and there is a small (50mm) air gap but the paint peeled off behind the firebox. I am about to tile behind the said cooker and was wondering if there was a colle for the tiles that was heat resistant as I don't want to half do the job? Or is there a better method?

We were advised to line our existing plasterboard with Fireproof and so we did.

Plan A now is to tile using approx 40mm carre travertineish tiles ie natural stone not porcelain because of the ambiance we wish to create, the only problem is that they are about twice the thickness, perhaps if we had not already got the tiles I might have gone for something else............what is it they use on the space shuttle?

Our french neighbours believe we should have a sheet of galva behind the stove.

We will get some fire bricks and put them at the back of the firebox,inside, we will still have room for 330mm logs. This should allow the heat to dissapate(sp?) round the oven which is protected by a refractory block. If This fails we will move the stove and put a slight slope on the chimney.

Thank you for your advice, you said that you lined the plasterboard with "fireproof", is this like a foil which you can buy for between cooker and kitchen unit? I would love to have tiles like you mention, but I think we do not have enough space?

Monika - you should really do something about the plasterboard. We had something unsuitable behind and above our woodburner and it caught fire [:'(]Luckily we were there at the time and managed to get the hosepipe in and put out the fire but there was a right mess. We removed all the old stuff and bought some fire-resistant plasterboard from  Leroy Merlin. Which seems to be ok. It has a special trade name but can't remember it. Good luck

This may help a couple of you, firecheck plasterboard is pink (iirc), you can use quarry tiles behind a heatsource, am tiling behind a woodburner for a customer where the tiles are only 5cms from the burner. The manufacturer advise that no imperfect (cracked, chipped) tiles be used.There are different fire-cements, One type is for fixing fire-rope around doors etc, and there is at least 1 other (maybe more) that is cementatious based for laying bricks.blocks etc, very close to the heatsource. For laying the precast shaped stones to make a fire surround, the manufacturers advise a soft glue, such as plasterboard glue.

At Brico Depot:

1 Mortier Refractaire Maconnerie for brick work, or

quarry tiles close to burner (takes long time to dry, in a vertical plane needs

supporting for 24hrs)

2 Colle Fibre Refractaire for gluing fire resistant insulation

panels to a n other surface

3 Colle Refractaire pour joints for fire rope round

woodburner doors/glass etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry it's me again, my husband has talked to a "woodburner installer" here in England and he suggested that he should fit metal sheets behind the woodburner (he bought them at an auto shop) and paint it with fireproof paint. I am still worried though that the metal gets so hot that the plasterboard behind it could still catch fire (the metal even acting like a conductor)? Thanks for your comments.

If you put a large metal sheet covering the whole wall behind the woodburner it should help to 'average out' the temperature across the wall by carrying heat away from the area nearest the heat source -- the technical term is 'heat sink'

If you can install the metal sheet spaced about 5cm away from the existing wall with a gap at top & bottom that would provide more protection to the wall behind it, as well as possibly improving the heat convection into the room