New Boiler which one !!!

expat paul

We've finally had to bite the bullet and go for a new gas boiler, and after having problems finding plumbers to come, but thats another story, we have managed to get 2 quotes. Both are for supply and fit but with different makes of boiler, both claimed to be the best there is !!, details as follows and are in the range of 25kW

1. Viessmann 'Vitodens 333'
2. Frisquet type 'Prestigue' au sol condensation avec ballon

Has anyone had any experience of either good or bad ?

thanks
Paul

Hi

We had a condensor boiler fitted (not that make) but the salient point being you would qualify for a tax rebate of around 45% of the cost of the boiler. We were offered this or a standard boiler the rebate meant that the condensor boiler turned out to be the same cost - but it should supply your hot water for free when the heating is on. Ours is a de dietrich and has been very efficient.

[quote user="expat paul"]We have only got 25% tax rebate on the cost of the boiler and the new insert for the chimney. I will ask the question why, but I think its to do with the age of the house and how long we've owned it.[/quote]

I think there might be an annual ceiling on the amount of tax rebate/credit you can have. One of my friends here had her draughty old windows replaced with double-glazed UPVC units in stages over 2 years to gain maximum benefits from the tax concessions, on the advice of her window-provider.

Sue

[quote user="Deimos"]I don't know the Veissmann Vitopend 222 but I do have a Veissmann boiler and it is excellent.  Never had any problems with it, cheap to run, plumbers all comment on what an excellent make it is.

Ian[/quote]

Thanks Ian, could I be nosy and ask what model do you have ? and how long you have had it ?

[quote user="expat paul"]

[quote user="Deimos"]I don't know the Veissmann Vitopend 222 but I do have a Veissmann boiler and it is excellent.  Never had any problems with it, cheap to run, plumbers all comment on what an excellent make it is.

Ian[/quote]

Thanks Ian, could I be nosy and ask what model do you have ? and how long you have had it ?

[/quote]

I think its called a Biferral (or something like that).  I don't know the model number but it is quite a big one with the "external" burner (i.e. you bolt on a gas burner or an oil burner, etc.).

I don't know how old it is because the previous owner installed it.  However, it looks in "as new condition" (if I cleaned the dust off and gave it a wipe with a damp cloth).  No signs of rusting, etc.

The controller (a Viesmann one as well) - that looks specific to the boiler) is quite smart as well (at least I think so).  For example, when the frost stat safety thing switches the boiler on (to stop pipes freezing in winter when the external temp drops low), the boiler runs the water round the heating system at a much lower temperature than normal saving fuel and cost.  Loads of adjustments on the internal sensors as well (but I don't touch those as I don't understand them).

All that said, I have no experience of the model you are looking at.  My experience with my own boiler is such that I would certainly put Veismann high up on my list.

Ian