starting work on barn conversion - no planning

chocccie

[quote user="chocccie"]

Am I right in thinking that I can start interior work on a barn without planning permission.... providing the external is not changed and nobody is living there?

[/quote]

If it is a barn (ie. has never been habitable), then no, you can't.

You will need to apply for a certificat d'urbanism (to ensure that you can actually use it as habitation) then a permis de construire (and a permis de démolir if necessary) before you do anything .

I guess what the poster is saying is ...how and why hes got the barn is of no concern of yours ( and quite rightly so ) What he wanted was an answer to his question and not an episode of eastenders gossip.......   I am just guessing mind... I mean no mallace and I am not suggesting that some posters have too much time on their hands....thats not the type of guy I am...

You must have a CU or you might be wasting loads of money... once you have this and you have your architec working on your plans he will tell you what works you can do and cant do.... You are right there are some works that can be started...I dont have to list them but anyone will know you can repoint a wall (pierre apparent ) weather its a barn or a house...and you can also put down a new slab etc etc....

Monti

• 2 weeks later...
For a barn converstion I have found out for you that you do not need a CU anymore, you only require a building permit for the works to be done. The new law came in 01/10/2007 saying that attached out buildings can be turned into living spaces, the permit just has to stay in keeping with the local surroundings,